Molly Guppy X Breeding

psi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
North East MD
I would like to try this. However, the only issue I have is with the one person saying it will damage their internal organs. On the other hand the person that said he breed sailfin mollies to guppies and all batches were doing fine makes me want to try that.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Resurrecting Golly thread! I've got two male guppies (feeder aka wild guppies) and six female mollies (one looks like pure yucatan, the rest appear to be hybrids) in an 18gal tank. It will be awhile before the old DNA is guaranteed to have expired, but we'll see what happens in the mean time.

For the record: I bought small guppies to help reduce barbed gonopodium damage, and found the closest thing I could afford to wild type and out-bred mollies for better genetics. The huge green molly was from my LFS and was the only one not wasting away in pure freshwater, but had a cloudy eye. A little sea salt perked her right up and the tank is now light brackish. The other, smaller mollies were free from someone who had too many. They look to be at least 50% p. verifera, but a few of them definitely have some latipinnis in them. Dorsal ray counts are all over the spectrum and colors vary from dull gray with stripes to neon jewels and purple sheen. Nice, wide genepool was the goal here. With live foods, algae wafers, etc., I think I have a good shot with this mix. Suggestions? Opinions not yet stated? BTW, my LFS wants some if they happen. So does the lady who gave me the mollies.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Well, I can't find it now, but there is another guppy x molly that looks more like a blue plakat. It depends on what kind of guppy and molly you cross. That one you found looks like a dalmation molly and perhaps a yellow guppy. The colors in the photo seem off, so it's hard to tell what color that fish actually is. Point being, I am using very blue fish in my attempt in hopes of seeing blue in the offspring. There is little chance of my fry looking like that fish, unless the one molly with weak spots on her is the only one that ends up being compatible. I guess we'll see.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Well, so far it's muppy fail. They have dropped no young of any kind. Still holding out. It should be worth the wait.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
UPDATE: One of the babies from the lady who gave me these mollies has sprouted a gonopodium, and I didn't notice until now. So I'm canning the muppy idea and just letting the mollies make me some food.

jonpaul

Feeder Fish
Mar 25, 2010
wales
I would like to say hi y'all first as a new member, and to all the negative posts about this cross breeding, I have had a green cobra guppy for a year now on her own sadly my daughter poisoned my tank and she was the only survivor :-( about 2 weeks ago I introduced 4 mollies to my new tank and voila I have 4 new additions on top. 3 days old now they are going strong and yes they are the guppies as the misses seen them come out .

Wobblescat3

Feeder Fish
May 30, 2018
I have recently read that Mollies can be bred with Guppies. I am hoping to try it but was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing this. I know you should only breed the male guppies with female mollies but is there anything else I should know? I am not looking to sell these. It's just for interest/experience. Any information you have would be helpful! Thank you!

I've had 3 groups of fry from a balloon Molly and she is in a tank of mixed cobra guppies, the first was a complete surprise! I didn't think that the balloon Molly would be good for breeding, but I now have like 8 "gollies" I don't like to call them muppies. You really just have to take the same precaution of breeding any live beares, the female Molly would ideally give birth in a breeder box. But also remember the fry are sterile so other than being a interesting mix, that's kinda it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store