Monster Diatomaceous Earth (DE) filter!

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Can’t believe it. Not one reply...
I want to see your set up! Sounds interesting I remember this thread a long time ago you brought back some fossils

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I thought they became obsolete like an old under gravel filter plate. What was the big mason jar one? Mag something?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Wow...I just found this thread linked from another thread started by the OP. This filter sounded like it was perfect for my set-up. Then I followed the Amazon link provided above. The price has gone up from $108...to $547!!! Huh????
I believe the linked Hayward EC40AC is the EC40 with a 1hp pump. I believe you can fined an EC40 (no AC - no pump) for around $310. $100 more than I paid about 10 years ago now I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQ2MPN9/ref=twister_B07W864DL6?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

It looks like the EC40AC comes with a valve. The W3EC40 is the same filter without the valve.

https://www.intheswim.com/p/hayward-extended-cycle-d-e-pool-filter-systems-above-ground-pools-

$310 is a lot of money for a filter, I don't know if it is worth it to you or not. I know that I would buy one at $310 knowing what I know after having used one.

Last edited:

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Can’t believe it. Not one reply...

Cabinet man, I am so pleased that you love yours as much as I love mine! I know it is an incredible filter but it is so nice to hear that someone else also thinks so. After about 10 years now of running a full time DE filter (knock on wood) I have never had any outbreak of any disease, fungal, bacterial, parasite or other. I have also found that I have almost no algea issues even though I usually run about 18 hours of light in my dirt bottom planted tank. I have pretty much forgot how great the filter is, I just have perfectly clear water ALL THE TIME!!!! It isn't until I see someone elses tank that I remember how much I love my EC40! LOL!

I honestly can't imagine running an aquarium without a full time DE filter.

I am still happy to answer anyone's questions to the best of my ability... just please quote me or reference my handle in your reply so I get an alert that I am being referenced.

Last edited:
Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR

yzf450motoxrider

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
CT
To those using these.

What is your system size?
Flow through the filter? Pressure? What pump are you using?
How often do you have to clean it?
Do you have any prefiltering before water gets to this.

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store