Monster Predatory Community Update, it's been a while...

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
I should also add that I added some "saltwater" mangroves to my sump about three months ago to help with the nitrate load. They are doing great and growing new leaves on a regular basis. I do a 50% water change every six days. My nitrates went from 40 to 20 on water change day over the course of a month and have since stayed about the same.

Here's some pics from when I added them and how I set them up...

Here's how I brought them home from the reefer shop...

Here they are unwrapped...

I got some 1/2" thick Dow styrofoam insulation (like we use under our tanks) and cut some holes for the trees to go through...

And here they are floating in the sump...

I've been lazy about sharing my progress due to building a brit bike and a hot rod pick up project both going on at the same time, along with getting stuff for the new tank. It's been a busy couple of months. When I get a little ahead of the game, I'll take a bunch more pics of the stand build and fishes.

Thanks again for looking.:)

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Nice stock of course, can't wait to see the big tank. Do you have any lighting on the mangroves? I'd like to try that but the way I'm set up they wouldn't get much light.

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
onekrzyboi;1901651; said:
great looking tank. love the stock list!
Thanks.:thumbsup:

unknownmango said:
Nice new tank! Should go well with the awesome collection you have.
Yeah, I can't wait to get it set up. I've got help coming today to get it in the house.

CTU2fan said:
Nice stock of course, can't wait to see the big tank. Do you have any lighting on the mangroves? I'd like to try that but the way I'm set up they wouldn't get much light.
Thanks. I've just got a florescent bulb shining on them about 15 hours a day. It's like a clip on type shop light. They seem to need more light towards their roots. They've done much better with the light aimed towards their roots than when I had the light set up shining down from above.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Hmm might try that, I could rig a light under my stand I suppose. Been toying with putting some kind of plants in there, I was gonna just toss in some anacharis or something but the mangroves might be good. Or maybe bamboo, I know where I can get some small bamboos.

So what's the plan for the old "Pelican Bay" tank once the fish move into the new tank?

danz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Escondido, ca
www.flowerhorncraze.com
terd ferguson;1901328; said:
I should also add that I added some "saltwater" mangroves to my sump about three months ago to help with the nitrate load. They are doing great and growing new leaves on a regular basis. I do a 50% water change every six days. My nitrates went from 40 to 20 on water change day over the course of a month and have since stayed about the same.

Here's some pics from when I added them and how I set them up...

Here's how I brought them home from the reefer shop...

Here they are unwrapped...

I got some 1/2" thick Dow styrofoam insulation (like we use under our tanks) and cut some holes for the trees to go through...

And here they are floating in the sump...

I've been lazy about sharing my progress due to building a brit bike and a hot rod pick up project both going on at the same time, along with getting stuff for the new tank. It's been a busy couple of months. When I get a little ahead of the game, I'll take a bunch more pics of the stand build and fishes.

Thanks again for looking.:)
Ive wondered if they would be ok in a fresh tank since they some from salt/brackish environments. I was looking to plant some stuff in some over head filters and looks like I need t add a couple of these :) Thanks for the info and update!

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
CTU2fan;1902669; said:
Hmm might try that, I could rig a light under my stand I suppose. Been toying with putting some kind of plants in there, I was gonna just toss in some anacharis or something but the mangroves might be good. Or maybe bamboo, I know where I can get some small bamboos.

So what's the plan for the old "Pelican Bay" tank once the fish move into the new tank?
I tried floating a couple of different kinds of plants in the sump and the leaves would eventually fall off and go through the pump into the tank and it looked terrible. I had read about the mangroves and how the reefers swore by them for reducing nitrates. I saw one blog where a guy was using them in freshwater, so I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. They work really well and aren't very expensive. I paid $6 a piece.

I would definately recommend them. They like a lot of light. You may have to play with how deep they are. I found that mine like just a little more than the leaves above water. The deeper the better in my case.

danz said:
Ive wondered if they would be ok in a fresh tank since they some from salt/brackish environments. I was looking to plant some stuff in some over head filters and looks like I need t add a couple of these :) Thanks for the info and update!
With all these fishes, and even with strong filtration, I wanted some plants just to do more. Floating them on top was pretty much out because of the overflow box. And like I said, floating them in the sump just ended up with a lot of trash going back in the tank.

I think the mangroves will do best in a sump where they can be deeper in the water. Their root system is pretty long and they seem to like most of their trunks submerged. I would encourage anyone to give it a shot. They certainly are good at their job of scrubbing nitrates.

klmt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
CT
ya as said before what is the plan for the empty 190? And your tank is one of my favorites that i have seen on this forum. Those fish are all awesome. Im sure theyll love the extra 100 = gallons of water GL. DRew

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
klmt;1902976; said:
ya as said before what is the plan for the empty 190? And your tank is one of my favorites that i have seen on this forum. Those fish are all awesome. Im sure theyll love the extra 100 = gallons of water GL. DRew
I'm selling the 190g as soon as the 350g is set up. Tank, stand, 200 lbs. of pool filter stand and some rocks, durso standpipes and PVC return line go with it. The sump stays with me.

I appreciate the compliments. Thanks.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store