Mudskipper paludarium- an alternative solution

brackishdude

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
insideout
I would gladly pay shipping for some of your samolus overgrowth, assuming some babes get uprooted rather than just trimmed.

They are said to grow submerged and, though they are apparently ubiquitous throughout the gulf south, i havn't found any. I'd love some for the foreground of my planted BW tank.

Hart1985

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
exeter devon
This truly is awesome and has some elements I would like to create in my tank cheers for the inspiration if my tank turns out half as good it's going to be a success well done mate

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hart1985

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
exeter devon
This truly is awesome it has some elements that I wish to create in my tank if mine turns out half as good as this its going to be a success well done and thanks for the inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
I would gladly pay shipping for some of your samolus overgrowth, assuming some babes get uprooted rather than just trimmed.

They are said to grow submerged and, though they are apparently ubiquitous throughout the gulf south, i havn't found any. I'd love some for the foreground of my planted BW tank.
A lot of entire plants, roots included, got harvested. About three pounds of Samolus...
I started working with it submerged, but it just perished. The single remaining almost dead rootclump of a motherplant has produced all the growth since. A lot of it. And yet, there hasn't been a single Samolus growing submerged in this tank.

I know, they say it grows submerged and sell it regularly to freshwater aquariums. But I must say I disagree. My experience and the fact that I haven't seen any pics of lush underwater growth of the plant.
I might be wrong.

Sure, if you want, I'll send you some. Or better yet, I'll harvest some seeds. They germinate like clockwork, in ten days on a moist bead.

This truly is awesome and has some elements I would like to create in my tank cheers for the inspiration if my tank turns out half as good it's going to be a success well done mate
Thanks, matey.
I'm happy to hear you are inspired! Be sure to show us your work when you get around to it.

i love this tank! do some more!!
Great, I feel your love.
I have, and am, doing more.
Some of my projects are presented in my blog (sig).

brackishdude

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
insideout
A lot of entire plants, roots included, got harvested. About three pounds of Samolus...
I started working with it submerged, but it just perished. The single remaining almost dead rootclump of a motherplant has produced all the growth since. A lot of it. And yet, there hasn't been a single Samolus growing submerged in this tank.

I know, they say it grows submerged and sell it regularly to freshwater aquariums. But I must say I disagree. My experience and the fact that I haven't seen any pics of lush underwater growth of the plant.
I might be wrong.

Sure, if you want, I'll send you some. Or better yet, I'll harvest some seeds. They germinate like clockwork, in ten days on a moist bead.
Thanks, I'd love to give it a shot!:) There seems to be a few diff species of samolus and some may do better when submerged than others, I suppose. I'm not above creating a planter/shelf up high, maybe it would do ok partially submerged.

You got PM

To repeat my post from 8/9/11, your tank is "Well designed, superbly executed!"

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Thanks, I'd love to give it a shot!:) There seems to be a few diff species of samolus and some may do better when submerged than others, I suppose. I'm not above creating a planter/shelf up high, maybe it would do ok partially submerged.

You got PM

To repeat my post from 8/9/11, your tank is "Well designed, superbly executed!"
These should be Samolus valerandis. Some sources do list them as aquarium plants. But as I said earlier, I have my doubts.
This plant grows locally on the shores of Baltic, too (considered endangered here). They are found on shoreline fields, only partially or periodically submerged.

Some sort of planter makes sense to me. I'm sure a Riparium Supply™ planter fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks.

alex leblanc

Feeder Fish
Dec 10, 2012
Quebec
Congrats on yours amazing tank, i've find yours post trying to find my mudskipper species and mine is exactly like yours. Need to find more information about them now. Sorry for my poor english.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store