My 125, updated

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Just wanted to share the progression of my 125. I initially had an obscene amount fish in it as I was scalling down from 4 different smaller tanks into a single larger tank so I moved most of the fish into the new one as I figured out which ones I wanted to keep.

At the time most of these were juvies and never had any aggression or nitrates over 20ppm but still, I had to rehome some fish.

OLD STOCK:

1 Oscar
1 Red devil
3 nicaraguense
1 delhezi
1 Senegal
1 parrot fish
3 firemouth
1 convict
2 bristlenose pleco
3 giant danios
1 Mystery cichlid
1 rainbow shark

Since then I got rid off all my canisters and started using a sump with two matten filter baffles and a lot of media. I believe I have about 140g in water volume give or take.

This is where we are at now:

1 Oscar
1 Red devil
1 delhezi
1 Senegal
1 Mystery cichlid
1 rainbow shark

I think I might still be on the edge of overstocked but I'm playing it by ear as I really want to keep the current fish and so far theres no aggression either. But well see how the devil behaves in the future.

Nitrates are currently sitting at 5 or 10pp with weekly 50% wcs.

20190411_212003.jpg

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Lovely tank! That mystery cichlid almost looks like a Texas and Mayan cross.
Thank you!

Yeah I have no idea what he is. It was sold to me as a Mayan but as some of the members on the forum pointed out it its probably something else.

I can see some Texas in there though!

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Cool tank. I think youre stocking is at the limit but not too crazy. Im surprised the O hangs in there with the RD. My RD seemed to target Os specifically for termination.

Are those faux plants or real? I like the look of them.

Thank you!

Well the RD is still very young so it's hard to say yet but so far hes not shown any interest in anyone, and even schools with the O and the other cichlid.

If things were to go south, I have a backup plan for the oscar. I'm in the process of building a little pond on my backyard now that its warming up so I could easily rehome any of them.

As for the plants, they are fake. That said I am absolutely in love with them because they look very realistic in person and have a good size.

They were like $8.00 in Amazon

I tried different real plants for a while but everything ended up in shreds. Lol

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thank you!

Well the RD is still very young so it's hard to say yet but so far hes not shown any interest in anyone, and even schools with the O and the other cichlid.

If things were to go south, I have a backup plan for the oscar. I'm in the process of building a little pond on my backyard now that its warming up so I could easily rehome any of them.

As for the plants, they are fake. That said I am absolutely in love with them because they look very realistic in person and have a good size.

They were like $8.00 in Amazon

I tried different real plants for a while but everything ended up in shreds. Lol
Nice. Share a link to the plants if its not too much of a hassle plz. Its hard to tell what actually looks good just from the pix on amazon.

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Nice looking tank. It’s always a good feeling to downsize to a somewhat proper bioload. I’m in process of doing this with one of my tanks and I can’t wait to lighten the load.
It definitely is! It makes it so much easier on you for maintenance and I have also noticed a change in swimming patterns now that they have more room available.

I was a little hesitant at first because I had like 4 or 5 tanks running with different types of fish, which i loved having the variety. But ultimately, it was not realistic for me to keep 5 tanks in pristine condition all the time while also having a full time job and other hobbies.

Right now I only have this one and a 20long planted tank. But the 20 is super low maint.

Reactions: Jexnell and Matteus

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store