My 125, updated

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Also if anyone knows how to get rid of these pesky snails let me know.

I've had these for years and it seems like they just keep coming back in all my tanks :/

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Well I wanted to put a dent on my snail infestation as it was starting to get out of hand, so I ended up replacing all of my old poolfilter sand.

I decided to go way lighter this time as I think part of the problem was that I had too deep of a sand bed so the snails had a lot of room to hide in it. 100 lbs of poolfilter sand to be exact.

I was going to get the same thing again but I ended up getting black aquarium sand last minute after looking at another members black in black setup, and I'm really happy how it turned out.

I only did 40lbs this time (about an inch or less deep all across)

My immediate thought was that the fish seemed to have colored up even more right away, and also since the sand is not as reflective the lighting feels less harsh are easier on the eyes.

20190511_223243.jpg

20190511_223225.jpg

20190511_222700.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Well I wanted to put a dent on my snail infestation as it was starting to get out of hand, so I ended up replacing all of my old poolfilter sand.

I decided to go way lighter this time as I think part of the problem was that I had too deep of a sand bed so the snails had a lot of room to hide in it. 100 lbs of poolfilter sand to be exact.

I was going to get the same thing again but I ended up getting black aquarium sand last minute after looking at another members black in black setup, and I'm really happy how it turned out.

I only did 40lbs this time (about an inch or less deep all across)

My immediate thought was that the fish seemed to have colored up even more right away, and also since the sand is not as reflective the lighting feels less harsh are easier on the eyes.

View attachment 1372682

View attachment 1372683

View attachment 1372684
Is that the Petco black sand? Did it need a lot of rinsing? Looks really good. I have not used it myself yet, but seems to be the cheapest "sand" not an abrasive that I can find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store