My 125, updated

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Is that the Petco black sand? Did it need a lot of rinsing? Looks really good. I have not used it myself yet, but seems to be the cheapest "sand" not an abrasive that I can find.
It is! I was very impressed with it. Definitely recommend it.

Seems to be finer than the pool filter sand I had but somehow heavier, so no problems with kicking back or anything.

No rinsing at all for me. I just opened the bag from the top and completely filled it with water to saturate the sand. Then scooped it in with a big cup. (Make sure to turn off all your pumps while doing this).

No cloudy water from this

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
It is! I was very impressed with it. Definitely recommend it.

Seems to be finer than the pool filter sand I had but somehow heavier, so no problems with kicking back or anything.

No rinsing at all for me. I just opened the bag from the top and completely filled it with water to saturate the sand. Then scooped it in with a big cup. (Make sure to turn off all your pumps while doing this).

No cloudy water from this
Good to hear, will be getting some for the Festae tank come payday.

Reactions: SwampFins

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Well this week was an eventful one, and not in a good way unfortunately. My oscar had developed what looked like hole in the head and while treating he ended up injuring himself yet again with the lid. He did not make it long after that.

I have a feeling that perhaps his immune system was weak due to always having injuries due to jumping and running into things. I had removed all rocks from the tank and anything sharp aside from a few pieces of wood to offer some hideaway spots but the lid thing was a tough one to work around.

Then to top it off my Mayan hybrid decided he wanted to kill the midevil out of nowhere. Only to find out that was a fight he would have no chance of winning.

I was in the middle of a water change today when they started going at it....

I have since removed the Mayan out of the tank for his own good.

• Wow
Reactions: Jexnell

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Oddly enough the Midevil did not start the fight and was actually trying to back off, but the Mayan kept coming back for him. Even after getting beat.

This only went on for like 5 minutes as I was hoping he would realize he had no chance against the devil but I had to scoop him out.

It's a real bummer because i really enjoyed both fish but.. well they had other plans.

I ended up keeping the midevil as hes super personable and actually surprised me with how he tried to defuse (I'm sure that can change in the future but still).

His fins are a little torn here and there but I'm sure hell recover quickly.

Mayan is now back at the LFS in hopes someone can provide him with a solo tank.

20190527_131256_BEST.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Fish have a great nack for destroying all of our well laid out plans, looking at you Casper....
Hope they all heal up fine

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Fish have a great nack for destroying all of our well laid out plans, looking at you Casper....
Hope they all heal up fine
Thank you.

Indeed they do! I'm confident they'll both do fine in a few days.

Now the midevil has the 125 basically to himself aside from the two bichirs.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thank you.

Indeed they do! I'm confident they'll both do fine in a few days.

Now the midevil has the 125 basically to himself aside from the two bichirs.
At least he will tolerate them, my Amp hates everything!

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
All healed up and still putting on some size.

I noticed he started showing some black stripes on his lower fins, not sure it will stay like that but looks pretty cool.

20190603_215303.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I see this in Casper as well, it normally grows out in a few days. It's new skin/scales that will peel just like the rest of him did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store