My 210 FOWLR Turned Reef

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Think it is time for an update. Couple weeks back I thought I might be moving to Mexico(long story) and the tank was going to have to be broken down. This is no longer the case and I am now in a mode where I am trying to get all my corals in the best spots for them to thrive. I have continued to up my lighting and now my halides are going to be on for 10 hours for the first time today. I can tell my SPS are enjoying it, but some of my LPS are less please, hence the need to move some stuff around. I have also reached a point where my tank is full and a few of the corals that I don't really like are going to make space for better stuff. I think I am going to have to make some sort of shelf for a few SPS and shade for a few LPS.

Someone is coming to pick up my Vlamingi tang today. I caught him last night without too much effort or stress. I left the room completely dark so he would go to bed, then used a dim red light to find where he was. I slid a net in place and in time he swam out into it while asleep. Then I came back and shined a really bright light on him to blind him and he didn't even fight. He is currently in my refuge for the day. I am hoping I can catch my Desjardini tang the same way and keep him in the fuge until I get the Chevron tang and Bellus angel into the display.

I am also picking up today or tomorrow a cleaner wrasse and 2 sunset anthias.

I will have to get some updated pics up of the tank. I now have 2 gold torches. The replacement from the 1st one that died and one that I had to buy because I got it for 40 bucks(steal!) and love it and can resell it if I need. The replacement gold torch is 1 head, but it is HUGE, happy and healthy!!

In other news, aiptasia is popping up everywhere in my tank and I now will have to actively start eradicating them. Going to try a few different methods and see what happens.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Murphy's Law - seems we can do everything right in theory and still crap happens, Lord knows I know. How ya gonna get rid of the anemones - limewater?

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
3 or 4 peppermint shrimp should wipe all of them in no time. only thing that worked for me.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Going to try a few things, proly start with a couple peppermint shrimp. Also have a Joe's Juice type solution laying around, might try just boiling water, and/or kalk paste. Guess we will see what happens.

Finally got to the store and picked up my new fish. The cleaner wrasse had died, but I picked up a diffferent fish instead. So 2 sunset anthias and 1 female flame wrasse(yup trying this again, lol, we will see how it goes.) The pic of the anthias doesn't do their color justice, hopefully I will be able to get some shots when they are less stressed.

Damn, the pics aren't working so I will post them later when I get that situation figured out, but I will post this anyway.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Another option, but not the easiest to come by.
I heard great things about them, I forgot the site but if you do a google search of these nudibrances (I think the site is called saltyunderground or something like thay) you will find them for sale. Liveaquaria in divers den sell them...they don't sell them all the time.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I heard great things about them, I forgot the site but if you do a google search of these nudibrances (I think the site is called saltyunderground or something like thay) you will find them for sale. Liveaquaria in divers den sell them...they don't sell them all the time.
Uhhh yikes. For a 210 gallon tank with a "moderate" infestation the site recommends buying 17. Well free shipping starts at 19, so if I buy 19 x $16 nudibranches that is $301. I'd rather buy a freaking laser. Even 10 of them with shipping would be about $280. So best bet would be buying like 5 and getting other people to do a group buy, but I'd still be spending $80 and wouldn't even know if it would be enough to work.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
go to saltwaterfish.com. 10 peppermint shrimp for $19.99. they will wipe them out in a few weeks and they are pretty good with corals. the only thing they seemed to pick on was my tiger conches, they killed all 5 of them. once in a while i will see them by my brain coral and that tells me they are hungery.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store