My 300gal Plywood Tank/Stand/Bio Tower build

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

This is my first DIY build as far as tanks go.
I've already been working on it, but I have taken some pics along the way, to where I currently am.

Specs

Tank: 6ft long x 4ft wide x 20in high.
Stand: 6ft long x 4ft wide x 2.5ft high.
Bio Tower: In planning stage still.

Progress

So, I started out figuring out where I was gonna put this beast. Luckily I had already ripped up the flooring downstairs so I didn't have to worry about doing it now. This tank is taking over where my computers once lived.

What fun it was moving all that stuff out of the area. This was before I rearranged and found new homes for everything.

I started out by getting lumber for the stand. I used blue wood for my 2x4's and regular for my 2x6's (they didn't come in blue). The water bottle in the last image is for size reference.

Having finished the stand, I was excited to start on the tank. Then a problem.
My dad had helped me cut all the lumber, and he lost track of the length of the width minus the attaching sections. Instead of 4ft, it was now 4ft 3in, not allowing the tank to sit on it, but now in it. All of the tank wood was already cut. So we took the stand apart, recut all of the width wood, and put it back together.

Then we started the tank. It went together pretty easy enough. It was made from 3/4in good 1 side plywood. Beer can for reference :p

Today, I applied the first coat of the Liquid Rubber Zavlar that I will be using to make it waterproof. It was a fairly quick deal. I was done the first coat in about an hr and a bit. I will be adding another coat hopefully tomorrow, if not, then Sat.

I still have to attach the top of the tank, but first I want to add a bunch of coats of Zavlar on the tank, then add in the 10mm glass sheet onto the front. once all of that is done, I will Zavlar the top, attach it, then Zavlar in the joining areas a few coats.

I still have to get something to cover the stand with, add doors and then paint it.

Hope you guys enjoy it so far.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Oops, I forgot to put that info in.

I will be putting my 2 reticulated stingrays in that tank, hoping to find a showpiece driftwood to put in as well. Once my ID shark and clown loaches get big enough, I might add them into it as well. Or I might just get another ray or two, hehe.

Then I can move around some of my other fish into my rays growout tank.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
nes999;4796631; said:
ive never heard of blue wood. is it like a green treated wood?
it's similar in the fact that it's treated.
green wood is not exactly suitable for indoor use, i'm told the treatment is hazardous to health inside.

blue wood on the other hand, is mold, water, and termite resistant, and is also not hazardous and can be used indoors.

i got mine at lowe's, so i'm sure it's easy enough to find in most places.

I was originally going to go with a custom built glass tank with the above specs, but it was going to cost 4-6k$ and that is waayyyyy too expensive for me at this point in time. I figured an indoor pond would be much cheaper, but did not want it on the floor as i just KNOW my cat would get himself into trouble in it, and i don't want either him or my stingrays getting hurt in any way, shape or form. so i decided after looking on here that a plywood build would be the most inexpensive, aesthetically pleasing, and would keep it off the floor and potentially away from my cat's use of his 9 lives. I've put about 400$ into it so far. i was quoted 171$ for a 70x18 10mm piece of plate glass from the local glass store, and then whatever it costs for the stand covering/doors/bottom panel, covers for the top of the tank, and the paint for the stand and the tank outside.

then we can get into the bio tower filter :grinno:

UPDATE:

i have now added a generous 2nd coat of Zavlar, will wait till that dries and apply a third. all this waiting has me antsy :D

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
well, it will have cross bracing on top to keep it intact, 8" thick both going width to width, and length to length. around the edge of the top will be another 6" bracing. i'll be adding the top "doors" for feeding to them.

i used a biscuit cutter to install the little disc biscuits for extra strength in the joints, using PL 9000 heavy duty construction adhesive and 2.5" high-low subflooring screws for the extra strong grab.

i've been doing this build with a little help/advice from my father.

of course i'll be doing stress tests and leak checks and all that fun stuff before i call it usable and start adding anything in to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store