My 450 Build thread

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That was one of my thoughts. I would need to make the opening of the side of he stand at lest 25’ to get the tank in, plus the 7”s of the top and bottom 2x4s and the 3/4 plywood would put the bottom of the tank at 33”s. I’m not sure if I want the tank that tall.
I see. All of my stands are around 40" tall. Guess i like them taller than most.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I see. All of my stands are around 40" tall. Guess i like them taller than most.
I just decided on making the stand for the 108g I am putting together 38" tall. I thought 38" would be too tall but it seems about perfect for me. Plenty of under the stand space for my bigger filter and just about as tall as I can go and still get into the tank for maintenance without having to use a stool. This stand will have 6' of clear space for access to the sump and other equipment.

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I just decided on making the stand for the 108g I am putting together 38" tall. I thought 38" would be too tall but it seems about perfect for me. Plenty of under the stand space for my bigger filter and just about as tall as I can go and still get into the tank for maintenance without having to use a stool. This stand will have 6' of clear space for access to the sump and other equipment.

Yeah with 40" stands i get 11" clearance in both my sump areas. Most people say have at least 6" but I couldnt imagine having less than what ive got for ease of maintenance. And i cant see why you wouldnt go taller especially if youre diying the stand.

20190905_215732.jpg
20190905_215516.jpg

Anyways enough derail, apologies OP.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Quick update, life has been very busy lately, but I’ve been messing around with the tank here and there. I have to admit this is a lot more work then thought it would be, and honestly needs to be chipped away at a little bit at a time, because if your not paying attention you need to restart a step one of you miss a scratch. I’ve spent a few nights wet sanding and buffing the acrylic and finally am making some progress. I started on the bottom to test and then did the background, by the time I got to the side, I figured out what I was doing. The key was to not be afraid to put some rpm into the polisher. I started on the front panel last night witch is the most scratched and got the first 3 feet looking invisible. I also have been messing around with some of the rough in on the plumbing. Thanks for following along.
976094D2-6BF2-44F4-9BDB-5E27EA548695.jpeg1F468170-AC7B-4595-A75C-DA8596E3A36D.jpegF905380B-1DD2-4757-894B-8808BEBD22AB.jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Nice. I’m super stoked for you. I have been hoping to learn how to buff scratches out of glass. I picked up the tools and I have just been so busy haven’t had a chance to do much with it.

Looking forward to seeing this as it comes along. Is that a bean animal you are roughing in there? Looks good so far.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Nice work! Ive been stalling on buffing all the glass for my next couple of projects...ive got around 80-90 sq ft to do gah. It takes forever but looks like youre getting good results on that acrylic. Plumbing looks good im gonna do the same thing with my drains on my next project.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Nice. I’m super stoked for you. I have been hoping to learn how to buff scratches out of glass. I picked up the tools and I have just been so busy haven’t had a chance to do much with it.

Looking forward to seeing this as it comes along. Is that a bean animal you are roughing in there? Looks good so far.
Thanks, your going to be in for a job buffing that glass. Be prepared to spend three time as long as your planning lol. Make sure you go slow and start on a spot you don’t normally see like the back of the aquarium. The drains are a bean animal and are working out nice. I will finalize them once the tanks in place. I need to really think out my plumbing because I have my existing supply and drain that I will need to plumb around.

I also need to think out how I want to setup my sump so I’m open to any suggestions. I’d love to setup some K1 but I’m worried about it being to loud. Can I setup k1 without using air? I don’t think I want to do a wet dry because drain noise. The main thing I really want is easy maintenance on my pre filter. So as of right now it’s looking like a submerged sump. I’m even thinking going bare bones in the sump and not installing baffles. I will be drilling the sump for a overflow and plumbing to outside just as a precaution since the pitch of my drain is to high.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Ok guys and gals, I need some advise on sump design. I’m going to be going with a submerged sump and need help setting up my prefilter. I’m not sure if filter socks are going to be a hassle or if I should go with filter floss between baffles. I use the floss In between the baffles on my 30 gallon tank, but I’m worried I will have too much flow going through my sump to do that. The main goal is to make changing out the prefilter cheap and easy. Do the people that use filter sock clean them and reuse them? I would think that you could only clean them a few times before they are trash. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Matteus

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ok guys and gals, I need some advise on sump design. I’m going to be going with a submerged sump and need help setting up my prefilter. I’m not sure if filter socks are going to be a hassle or if I should go with filter floss between baffles. I use the floss In between the baffles on my 30 gallon tank, but I’m worried I will have too much flow going through my sump to do that. The main goal is to make changing out the prefilter cheap and easy. Do the people that use filter sock clean them and reuse them? I would think that you could only clean them a few times before they are trash. Thanks in advance.
I prefer filter socks. They are easier to swap out and you can reuse them. They also will keep your sump cleaner because they catch 99% of particles before the water gets into your sump. The downside to socks is they will clog up faster than a foam baffle. Of course, you can always split the drains if you want more socks which will equate to more time between changeouts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store