My 450 Build thread

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I use socks. I wash them in the washer with bleach. Last at least a year. Need to replace about every 5 days. I used 2 on my last system at once and have 12 socks total so once a month I washed them.
Would you mind sharing how you have them setup? Do you have a baffle that they overflow into or do you have them directly under the drain? Also what size socks are you using. Thanks!

Reactions: Matteus

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I just decided on making the stand for the 108g I am putting together 38" tall. I thought 38" would be too tall but it seems about perfect for me. Plenty of under the stand space for my bigger filter and just about as tall as I can go and still get into the tank for maintenance without having to use a stool. This stand will have 6' of clear space for access to the sump and other equipment.

is that stand strong enough with no center supports? did you ever check the deflection on that stand?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Great questions TheWolfman TheWolfman I am also going through a similar struggle. Here is a pic of a sump that I recently picked up

73C9976F-6068-4D55-883B-D21CC6506239.jpeg

So this sump is designed to have the overflow enter the chamber in the back corner with the black arrow. Then overflow into the sock catchers noted by blue arrow, then flowing out the bottom with red arrow.

The baffles on the other side of the sump are basically just to stop bubbles from being sucked into the return pump. I am toying with the idea of using floss at these returns as well, because I may have some fish growing out in the big middle chamber.

Other ideas that I have had are to add k1 to the overflow chamber to simulate a small fluidized bed (add a strainer at top to prevent k1 in the socks). Also possibly adding floss inside of the socks to lengthen the lifespan of the socks (in theory), and pack as much bio media anywhere I have any room without causing flow restrictions.

All of these plans are just theories atm. I am planning to set this up and have it running possibly by October (ish). Don’t know if this is helpful for you to get an idea, and not trying to highjack your thread, but if someone has feedback on my ideas it might help you with what you want to do.

Hth

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Matteus Matteus not a highjack at all. Thanks for posting. I’m looking for all the advice I can get. I have a 125 that I’m going to use for the sump, and I can make the baffles however I choose. I like the idea of using floss in the socks. It gives me an idea, make a drip tray for above the socks with a thin layer of floss.

Reactions: Matteus

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The sump I was using is very simular to what Matteus Matteus posted. Water entered a first chamber then overflowed into the socks. I'm in the process of resetting up at a new house. Currently I have a couple totes filtering a 300g stock tank, water flows directly into socks and then into fluidized bioballs and through other biomedia to pump back to pond.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
is that stand strong enough with no center supports? did you ever check the deflection on that stand?
It certainly doesn't look like it would support all that weight from the picture I posted, does it?

I laminated four 2 x 6's for each side of the top. A structural engineer friend ran through the numbers and concluded I should be fine as far as deflection. This top "Ladder" is so heavy I am building the top and bottom as 2 separate pieces so I can move the stand.

Here is my build thread if you are interested: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-dirt-bottom-planted-tank-build.714316/page-3

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Reactions: Oughtsix

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I was able to make some progress this weekend. I finally finished wet sanding and buffing the front panel. It took me three nights on just that one panel. I also made the top platform for the stand so I can test fill the tank. When I placed the tank on the stand I noticed the tank definitely has a bow in the bottom panel so the front left corner is raised almost a 1/4”. I’m going to see if it settles for now and If it doesn’t, I might need to shim the plywood or use foam under the tank.
5255225A-E0F0-475B-B11F-5F37AEE8CEA0.jpeg4863D7E7-A470-49D6-9173-CA0C64DE5033.jpeg

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I’ve been chipping away at the build. I finished wet sanding, and buffing the top of the tank, and finally test filled the tank. I would like to thank Lepisosteus Lepisosteus for helping me decide what to do about the bow in the bottom of the tank. I wound up slowly filling the tank, first I filled the tank 25% and waited 3 days. Then I filled it all the way. The bow is slowly flattening out and all most gone. Last night I put the first coat of paint on the background. I still need to buff the lids, and cut the baffles for the sump. I picked up a 20 high from the dollar per gallon sale to dismantle for the glass. 020D4D38-4E12-447A-9DED-4308940EBC36.jpegABE6E19E-EB14-4459-95BC-A1AA6A4E8304.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store