My Amatitlania Nanolutea and friends journal

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Tank still looks good. Have you considered just going back to the good old T5 Fluor lights instead of LED? They don't generate much heat if that's what's causing you issues. Obviou
Su I don't know the layout of the room but if you can get a few hours of direct sunlight on the tank it will also make a difference to the plants too, won't help with the excess heat problems though.

Reactions: Jexnell

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Well if we get another stimulus check plans are to get an AC to solve the problem.
Probably a better choice, at least you will be comfortable then. How hot does it get where you live?
I spent a few grand on an a/c last summer, worth every cent during the heatwave times.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Probably a better choice, at least you will be comfortable then. How hot does it get where you live?
I spent a few grand on an a/c last summer, worth every cent during the heatwave times.
Well living in an apt I won't be going that elaborate. It's just a 12x9 foot room so looking at one of them rollaway ones with the hose that connects to your window.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW

If you all have Petcos Imagitarium black sand and have bottom feeders be warned. Seems to me its crushed rock not naturally worn down sand. It's sharp and has literally ground the mouths off of my Cory cats. Had 7 of the die recently and you can see the barbels were gone and the mouth was swollen shut.

The Nanos are starting to mature more. With the big male taking up half the tank now. I am not sure if all six will coexist and may have to rehome a pair.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Hey Jexnell,
I’m setting up a new tank soon and plan on painting the back and bottom of the tank black and I’m wondering what paint you used and how you went about painting your 125.

Thanks,
Ethan

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Hey Jexnell,
I’m setting up a new tank soon and plan on painting the back and bottom of the tank black and I’m wondering what paint you used and how you went about painting your 125.

Thanks,
Ethan
It's just flat black latex, use a 1/4in nap roller, took me three coats. Just make sure its clean and dry. I had to do it while running in place I would advise doing before setup, would be so much easier.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Don't know why this didn't think of this sooner.....

The tank Casper is in has Caribsea Tahitian moon black sand in it. That is totally bottom feeder safe....:wall:

So today the big swap happened. Moved all the decor and fish from the Nanolutae tank to Caspers tank and Casper in what was the Nanolutae tank. Oh and somehow I missed one of the male Nanolutae. We will see how it goes... to tired now to catch him now....
20200820_120439.jpg20200820_120611.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So I think this swap of tanks will work out in more ways than planned.
Was just watching the Nanolutae tank from around the corner. The Tetras were actually swimming around. When in my room they sat in one spot all the time just swimming in place.
And the beast Casper, while out in the dining room, would be in his cave, kinda pouty acting. Now he's trying to bite me or the birds thru the glass all day.

Note: took a nap for a couple hours and the Nanolutae made it. Was super easy to catch just swooped him up no fuss no muss.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
My female died yesterday. The male is doing great in the planted tank. The female didn't like the move stressed out stopped eating and bloated.

• Sad
Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store