My Andinoacara Rivulatus journal

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
In this thread I'll be keeping a journal of my new wild Ecuadoran Andinoacara Rivulatus (White saum).

Tank is my black 6ft 125gallon
Filtration is two FX4s, Ehiem heater and airpump.

Tankmates: (all fish are wild)
Pimelodus ornatus x1
Chalceus macrolepidotus "Pink tailed Chalceus" x1
Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma "Bleeding hearts tetras" x8
Andinoacara Rivulatus "Green Terror white saum" x1

20200228_170432.jpg20200228_170418.jpg

Ain't he soo cute, got a little knot growing out already

20200228_170441.jpg
20200228_170359.jpg20200228_170520.jpg20200228_170707.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Had to do some quick research. The Wet Spot had them marked as Stalsbergi, so I really freaked knowing how rare those are. But after some research come to learn he is a wild Rivulatus. In the pic you can see the rows of black dots, meaning it's a Rivulatus not the white honeycomb that Stalsbergi have.
20200228_170418.jpg

20200228_170602.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Nice tank and stock. You went back to the ornatus? Should've let me know i couldve put catniss back on a jet lol.

Very good selection on the saum and ptc. Lots of potential there for both of them.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Nice tank and stock. You went back to the ornatus? Should've let me know i couldve put catniss back on a jet lol.

Very good selection on the saum and ptc. Lots of potential there for both of them.
I didn't even think of it to be honest, now that I do I don't think it would work with Catness, her size by now probably could eat the tetras whole. This way the tetras can get big before the catfish does.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I didn't even think of it to be honest, now that I do I don't think it would work with Catness, her size by now probably could eat the tetras whole. This way the tetras can get big before the catfish does.
Good idea. Though the BH tetras might still become snacks with a big saum and growing ornatus around.

When i upgrade my community tank my first stocking moves will be more ptc and ornatus. They are really cool fish for sure.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What a way to wake up....

Yesterday while I was moving my tank. I left the lower part of the FX4 filters intake stuck to the back glass. Well while draining the tank I was cleaning the glass and sliding the intakes around to clean the glass behind them. Well I moved it into a dry area apparently and the bottom half pops off. One of the two tabs that hold it together breaks off. I thought I got it back together enough to hold till a new one shows up.....

So I wake up this morning and first thing I do is check my fish. Well I can't find the catfish anywhere and notice the bottom half of the intake is off and a couple feet away on the bottom of the tank. So I panic and figure that the catfish got sucked up the pipe. I unplugged the FX4 and quickly disconnect it, get the lid off and the basket out.... Sure enough it's swimming around in the filter...... so I get him back in the main tank.

To prevent any further chaos till the new part shows up I put a piece of sponge in it so no other fish get sucked up 20200229_082944.jpg

And somehow the catfish seems to be untouched...20200229_082920.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What a way to wake up....

Yesterday while I was moving my tank. I left the lower part of the FX4 filters intake stuck to the back glass. Well while draining the tank I was cleaning the glass and sliding the intakes around to clean the glass behind them. Well I moved it into a dry area apparently and the bottom half pops off. One of the two tabs that hold it together breaks off. I thought I got it back together enough to hold till a new one shows up.....

So I wake up this morning and first thing I do is check my fish. Well I can't find the catfish anywhere and notice the bottom half of the intake is off and a couple feet away on the bottom of the tank. So I panic and figure that the catfish got sucked up the pipe. I unplugged the FX4 and quickly disconnect it, get the lid off and the basket out.... Sure enough it's swimming around in the filter...... so I get him back in the main tank.

To prevent any further chaos till the new part shows up I put a piece of sponge in it so no other fish get sucked up View attachment 1407252

And somehow the catfish seems to be untouched...View attachment 1407253
Ive had the same thing happen to a couple of my cats...lost my jag cat when it got stuck in the intake and i actually found a small syno swimming back up the vinyl tubing from the can once.

Ime stuffing the intake grate works very briefly as it will clog up very easily. Ive seen people use foam prefilters over diy pvc strainers with success though.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Ive had the same thing happen to a couple of my cats...lost my jag cat when it got stuck in the intake and i actually found a small syno swimming back up the vinyl tubing from the can once.

Ime stuffing the intake grate works very briefly as it will clog up very easily. Ive seen people use foam prefilters over diy pvc strainers with success though.
Sorry about your loss.

It only has to last two days, so I'll clean it out in the mornings. New one will be here Monday, goto love Amazon.

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store