My arowana is not eating

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have bought a violet fusion red arowana 5 days ago. it is around 8 inches. I have bought it from a reputed seller in the United Kingdom.

He said that he was feeding the arowana some cooked prawns. For the past 5 days time he has not been feeding at all. I have offered him cooked prawns and he refuses it. He has also refused hikari sticks that I have offered. He otherwise appears to be in good health in the tank. The tank parameters are within normal limits. I would like to try and pellet train him as well.

Can someone please advise and help.
Float a ping pong ball in the aquarium...........The arowana will start staring at it for a couple days......This makes the fish less nervous being the room............Or, starving the fish for 4 days will also help...............Feed pellet(HIKARI) on a regular basis..........Frozen food better than live food..............

nismob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2018
If your water parameters are fine, nothing to worry about. Aro is not like other type of fish. They will take a long time to adapt to the new environment whether it's new tank or new water. Some Aro may go for months without eating. When I first got my Asian Aro, he didn't eat anything for a week. I tried some pellets at first. He grabbed those and spit them right out. I tried crickets the next day and he took those and asked for more. Your Aro is still young so he will start eating again soon. I personally wouldn't give my Aro cooked shrimp/prawn. Try to stay close to the food source that is readily available in the nature.

I've been feeding my Aro a variety of food. Crickets, MW, MW pupa, live shrimp/frozen shrimp. He will not touch pellets so I don't bother. Just give your Aro some time.

Reactions: mohit arun

mohit arun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Float a ping pong ball in the aquarium...........The arowana will start staring at it for a couple days......This makes the fish less nervous being the room............Or, starving the fish for 4 days will also help...............Feed pellet(HIKARI) on a regular basis..........Frozen food better than live food..............
Thank you. Will try as suggested

mohit arun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
If your water parameters are fine, nothing to worry about. Aro is not like other type of fish. They will take a long time to adapt to the new environment whether it's new tank or new water. Some Aro may go for months without eating. When I first got my Asian Aro, he didn't eat anything for a week. I tried some pellets at first. He grabbed those and spit them right out. I tried crickets the next day and he took those and asked for more. Your Aro is still young so he will start eating again soon. I personally wouldn't give my Aro cooked shrimp/prawn. Try to stay close to the food source that is readily available in the nature.

I've been feeding my Aro a variety of food. Crickets, MW, MW pupa, live shrimp/frozen shrimp. He will not touch pellets so I don't bother. Just give your Aro some time.
Thank you for the explanation. I feel better after hearing this as I was worried. I will persevere.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
All great advice has been given

I would just like to emphasize that as has been said... Arowanas have a mind of their own and they sulk
Most of them if moved from one tank to another (even if your own tanks at home) they sulk and dont eat for anything from couple of days to two or three weeks

When i upgraded my Super red's tank, she didnt eat for three weeks

My little chilli red didnt eat for nearly a month when she arrived

As long as your water is good and you can see she is healthy, breathing ok, swimming around and no problems.. just relax and keep trying different foods
One day when you not expecting, she will be jumping like crazy for food
All the best with your new baby

mohit arun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
All great advice has been given

I would just like to emphasize that as has been said... Arowanas have a mind of their own and they sulk
Most of them if moved from one tank to another (even if your own tanks at home) they sulk and dont eat for anything from couple of days to two or three weeks

When i upgraded my Super red's tank, she didnt eat for three weeks

My little chilli red didnt eat for nearly a month when she arrived

As long as your water is good and you can see she is healthy, breathing ok, swimming around and no problems.. just relax and keep trying different foods
One day when you not expecting, she will be jumping like crazy for food
All the best with your new baby
Thank you for the feedback. You speak out of experience. It is interesting to know that arowana can go without food for a month. Will do as suggested.

Reactions: MariaS

DanHOB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2017
Essex
www.facebook.com
I wouldn’t worry yet, ours went 6 weeks without eating, and the aro won! He now has a diet of morio worms and crickets that we gut load with veg and aro pellets. he totally refuses anything that isn’t alive. U can get live food even at petsathome don’t use crickets locust etc that are too big as they have spikes on their legs just get small if you try the live route.
U can buy prawns from any supermarket n usually are already cooked.
Good luck!

Reactions: mohit arun

mohit arun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
I wouldn’t worry yet, ours went 6 weeks without eating, and the aro won! He now has a diet of morio worms and crickets that we gut load with veg and aro pellets. he totally refuses anything that isn’t alive. U can get live food even at petsathome don’t use crickets locust etc that are too big as they have spikes on their legs just get small if you try the live route.
U can buy prawns from any supermarket n usually are already cooked.
Good luck!
Thank you for the advise

Reactions: tlindsey

Bobby T

Feeder Fish
Jan 2, 2018
This is the first post I've ever made, on this or any site, so I hope I'm doing it right.
After having many tanks of various sizes (all 55 gallon or less) for over 40 years, I took the plunge into larger tanks.
I now have a 110 gallon with an Oscar and a pleco. Easy, both will eat anything, crystal clear with a Fluval fx6.
I recently got a 6-7 inch jardini arowana for a 150 gallon. After reading hundreds of jardini tankmate commentaries on this site, I've decided he will remain alone in the tank. Nice tank, two Fluval fx6 filters. I've had the jardini for three weeks. He refused all food for the first week. Week two, I got him to accept fresh shrimp dangled in the tank at the end of a line. Where I live shrimp are relatively inexpensive and readily available. I have tried without luck to transition him to Hikari floating food or freeze dried krill without any success so far. Will keeping this species on fresh shrimp for extended periods have any ill effects? I'm happy and able to continue with the shrimp if doing so creates no ill effects and meets nutritional needs.
Feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store