My arowana is not eating

DanHOB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2017
Essex
www.facebook.com
This is the first post I've ever made, on this or any site, so I hope I'm doing it right.
After having many tanks of various sizes (all 55 gallon or less) for over 40 years, I took the plunge into larger tanks.
I now have a 110 gallon with an Oscar and a pleco. Easy, both will eat anything, crystal clear with a Fluval fx6.
I recently got a 6-7 inch jardini arowana for a 150 gallon. After reading hundreds of jardini tankmate commentaries on this site, I've decided he will remain alone in the tank. Nice tank, two Fluval fx6 filters. I've had the jardini for three weeks. He refused all food for the first week. Week two, I got him to accept fresh shrimp dangled in the tank at the end of a line. Where I live shrimp are relatively inexpensive and readily available. I have tried without luck to transition him to Hikari floating food or freeze dried krill without any success so far. Will keeping this species on fresh shrimp for extended periods have any ill effects? I'm happy and able to continue with the shrimp if doing so creates no ill effects and meets nutritional needs.
Feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
assuming that the shrimp are dead, can you not try pushing some of your hikari food into the shrimps so he is getting more nutrition, as its like with all food, if you eat one thing you will lack in nutrients. you could also soak his food in a supplement. but would suggest dangling other bits in the tank for him to eat. Are you not able to get live worms, crickets etc?

DanHOB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2017
Essex
www.facebook.com
This is the first post I've ever made, on this or any site, so I hope I'm doing it right.
After having many tanks of various sizes (all 55 gallon or less) for over 40 years, I took the plunge into larger tanks.
I now have a 110 gallon with an Oscar and a pleco. Easy, both will eat anything, crystal clear with a Fluval fx6.
I recently got a 6-7 inch jardini arowana for a 150 gallon. After reading hundreds of jardini tankmate commentaries on this site, I've decided he will remain alone in the tank. Nice tank, two Fluval fx6 filters. I've had the jardini for three weeks. He refused all food for the first week. Week two, I got him to accept fresh shrimp dangled in the tank at the end of a line. Where I live shrimp are relatively inexpensive and readily available. I have tried without luck to transition him to Hikari floating food or freeze dried krill without any success so far. Will keeping this species on fresh shrimp for extended periods have any ill effects? I'm happy and able to continue with the shrimp if doing so creates no ill effects and meets nutritional needs.
Feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
assuming that the shrimp are dead, can you not try pushing some of your hikari food into the shrimps so he is getting more nutrition, as its like with all food, if you eat one thing you will lack in nutrients. you could also soak his food in a supplement. but would suggest dangling other bits in the tank for him to eat. Are you not able to get live worms, crickets etc?

Bobby T

Feeder Fish
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks, I'll try supplementing via the shrimp. I was hoping to avoid live food except as an occasional "treat" to avoid live food dependency. He's starting to grow more bold as he gets comfortable in the tank, so I'm hoping he will eventually be more open to other options. My lack of experience with the species causes concern for the resiliency of the fish to a high protein diet as I hopefully expand his diet. Have you found jardini are tolerant nutritionally, or are they susceptible to health problems due to diet. I appreciate your feedback.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store