Alligator head

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
I got this arowana yesterday! It's a RED TAIL GOLDEN! In the evening I observed it's tail cutting off from the fleshy part! And finally at night it broke off, but now more part of the tail is starting to separate! What might be the cause and would it grow back!
THANK YOU!
IMG_3529.JPG IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Looks like FinRot. Check back with the seller reg the quality / health issues first. Has it been shipped and been in the baggage for more time?

Good water condition, completely cycled aquarium tank, balanced PH and clean water parameters (0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrates) are necessary to get back to normal.

Maintain temp of 27-28 C and add aquarium salt.

Mostly it will grow back to normal if you take care of the above. However since you got it just yesterday, fish will take a few more days to get used to the new environment and water conditions. good luck!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep fin rot,it's got some kind of infection and I'm not sure if the tail fin will grow back as the damage appears to be all the way down into the flesh of the tail.Did you inspect the fish closely before taking ownership of it?

Reactions: tlindsey

Alligator head

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
Yep fin rot,it's got some kind of infection and I'm not sure if the tail fin will grow back as the damage appears to be all the way down into the flesh of the tail.Did you inspect the fish closely before taking ownership of it?
Yes! It was very good in terms of condition and the colouring was awesome! That's the reason I've taken it! What is the medication needed for it?

Alligator head

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
Looks like FinRot. Check back with the seller reg the quality / health issues first. Has it been shipped and been in the baggage for more time?

Good water condition, completely cycled aquarium tank, balanced PH and clean water parameters (0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrates) are necessary to get back to normal.

Maintain temp of 27-28 C and add aquarium salt.

Mostly it will grow back to normal if you take care of the above. However since you got it just yesterday, fish will take a few more days to get used to the new environment and water conditions. good luck!
thank you soo much the water is in 30c and I use only mineral water for my fish!

Alligator head

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
thank you soo much the water is in 30c and I use only mineral water for my fish!
I'm even changing water now and the LFS guy was like it's not finrot! The fish might have hit some where! And he asked me to do a water change and keep the water level low like only few inches above the fish! And asked me to add some salt! And said the tail will grow within 1-1.5 month(s)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm even changing water now and the LFS guy was like it's not finrot! The fish might have hit some where! And he asked me to do a water change and keep the water level low like only few inches above the fish! And asked me to add some salt! And said the tail will grow within 1-1.5 month(s)

It looks like the fin may not grow back like was stated earlier but do what was suggested so the fin rot won't get worse.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
So here you seem to be saying that once we add mineral water, everything else will be fine. ;)

Some info I gathered from reading on internet about FIN ROT. Read Below:

FIN MEMBRANE TEAR
This is quite common and benign, Unlike Tail-drop syndrome; the tear is between the fin rays and runs parallel to the rays. A possible cause could be due to injury, followed by violent behavior and other signs of injury. Provide good food and water. Also add 0.3% salt and acraflavine. A fin membrane tear heals fast, sometimes within days.

FIN ROT
The symptoms of fin rot begin when the edges of the fins become pale and start to rot. It is caused by bacterial infection of the fins due to poor water quality or by a diseased fish introduced in the tank. When symptoms occur, immediately change the water and provide more aeration to add more air to increase the level of dissolved oxygen in the water. Change the filter element and raise the water temperature to 34 degree Celsius gradually - 1 degree over 2 hours. Add salt and commercially available fin rot solutions but follow the dosage carefully. Change 20-30% water daily for 3-6 days.

Reactions: Alligator head

Chaos32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Singapore / Malaysia
Fin rot is gradual, tail drop syndrome is when part or the whole tail completely drops off the Aro at the base all at one go. Why this happens and under what kind of conditions and how come only some Aros suddenly suffer from this not common but very odd condition is quite the enigma. The good news is the tail will very likely grow back, the bad news is most of the time it will never grow back to its past glory.

Salt, no feeding and maintaining good water quality seems to work without need for further medication. Patience is needed for the regrowth period.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store