My arowana's tail is broken, please help me how can I make it grow again

rathankumar492

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
Hi guys, my arowanas tail has broken it's been around 6 months I have been trying to make it grow back.

I noticed that my aro's round part of the tail was broken at first and the tip of it's tail became reddish like a wound. I thought it must be parasites and used some antibiotics, general aid but no use then I gave him a potassium bath. Then in few days that reddish part was cured but tail did not grow back.

I waited for few months and again noticed that the upper end part of the tail is becoming weak day by day and the fins are falling down like it is spreading. But the aro is very fine and active, he eats well I used to give him 4 arowana sticks every morning and evening (total 8) and occasionally some live fish such as guppies. One of the aquarium guys said i am overfeeding him then I started giving him only 4 sticks a day.

Please note: I cought him turning round and rounds a few times. I suspect that he is biting his tail.

I tried Melafix on it but still no use. Used salt, general aid but no use. I really need help. I will do anything possible to make his tail grow back. I did not see a way to attach video so attaching images and sharing a link to watch the video.

I am posting this here with a hope of you guys will definitely help me out. Thanks a lot for your time.

IMG20191015134239.jpg

IMG20191015134153.jpg

IMG20191015134123.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Update: Water is clean, I have been changing 30% water for every 2 days since 15 days. Let me know if I am wrong

The tail fin may grow back but not perfectly. Looks like the Upper top of the tail may be too damaged to grow back. There has to be some fin tissue remaining in order for the whole tail fin to grow back. Had a Black Ghost Knife with tail bitten to far to regrow tail fin.

rathankumar492

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply brother. Do you think there is no fin tissue left in it? Or what should I do to get the best possible result?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you so much for your reply brother. Do you think there is no fin tissue left in it? Or what should I do to get the best possible result?
Hard to tell in pic but agree with tlindsey tlindsey . He’s on the money as usual. Clean water, reduce stress and make sure it’s eating. Should heal and grow back (back to normal...?). Best can be done for it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any fin tissue will be visible. I personally would use a magnifying glass or camera zoom in. I don't see any fin tissue at the top edge in the pic.

Reactions: kno4te

Manish Kolge

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Continue the Melafix treatment as the fin rot seems to be spreading on his dorsal fins also.
From the current situation it seems difficult that he will grow his fins back.. Sorry about that

Reactions: tlindsey

rathankumar492

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2019
That's very sad and hard for me to accept. But no other way. Right now I just don't want him to die. Because I think if it keeps spreading eventually they will eat all the fins then body and fish will die.

Is there any possible way I can prevent parasites from spreading or kill them all? Do you guys think potassium bath really work? If yes, what's the right way of using it? Thanks in advance

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's very sad and hard for me to accept. But no other way. Right now I just don't want him to die. Because I think if it keeps spreading eventually they will eat all the fins then body and fish will die.

Is there any possible way I can prevent parasites from spreading or kill them all? Do you guys think potassium bath really work? If yes, what's the right way of using it? Thanks in advance
I’d try and confirm if it’s a true parasite before a pp bath. In the meantime you can add salt 1 tsp per g and triple sulfa and seachem paragaurd. This works well for fin rot. Lots easier than dipping the fish in a pot perm bath which can stress out the aro. Meds can stress out a fish but I’d imagine wya more with handling.

Manish Kolge

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
I believe he is quarantined as of now..if not please do the same and continue the melafix treatment. First priority would be clean water as that would aid in his treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store