My Betta.macrostoma log

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Starting this thread to keep a log of the development and eventually/hopefully the spawns of my Betta.macrostoma group.

Started keeping these beautiful fish about 3 years ago, but I never got my male to hold for the full brooding period (was told it was due to my PH. Ideal spawning/holding ph is 5.5-6.5, but the water out of tap here runs at 7.8).

Ended up trading my wild pair a while back for some cichlids. Had a left over male which I sold.

It was awesome to hear someone locally got this stunning species of betta to successfully spawn in our local water (tap with no buffers), and they were selling them for a really good price.

Really excited to have these absolutely stunning fish again. Scored with buying this group for $140 CAD, which is an absolute steal seeing in how pairs of this fish go for $170 USD or more (around $240 CAD) on Aquabid.

Will be growing out these juvies in my pleco tank, but once they put on some more size, I'll be transferring them their own 75 gallon that's almost finished cycling for them.
The group consist of 2 pairs of F1s. Once they reach maturity, I'll get some wild caught partners for them

Last edited:

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Thanks!
Do you have recent thread of them posted? Would be interested to check it out :)
I have not started one yet... maybe i will tomorrow

Reactions: Pred-Finatic

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
*Just realized I already had a Betta.macrostoma thread posted since last year lol. Completely forgot about it haha, but should get that one closed and move the info and pics over to this new thread*

As for today's update:

The new macs are adjusting well to the tank. Swapped the clear glass lids on my 75 gallon with a smoked glass panel, which I'm planning to have cut to make some custom lids.
The smoked glass dims the lighting going into the tank by 50%. Rather dark for me when viewing the tank, but the fish seem to be loving how dim it is in there.

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Here's some updated shots of my 2 juvenile males. Male #1 is the darker fish of the two, and #2 is the lighter coloured one.
You can see their adult colours and patterns coming in nicely! (Especially in the first picture)

Will have some updated pics of my 2 females shortly :)

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store