My Brachyplatystoma filamentosum (Disscussion)

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Since I'm going to let go most of my fish, wanna make a thread dedicated to only one species, B. filamentosum. Any discussion about the species are welcome here.

I used to have 2 piraiba but one died from jumping out of the 120g. One survived, grown to 22" now, nearly a year in my hands. Dark coloured too, dark grey rather than blue. Origin: Brazil

IMG_20181017_132225.jpg IMG_20181017_132119.jpg IMG_20181017_132034.jpg

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Already ordered a Suriname piraiba, will get it end of the month. Here's the picture in seller's hand, about 6". At this size, it is hard to tell them apart.

received_893756404154985.jpeg

So here's another sample of larger specimen in the same seller's hand. At first I was being skeptical about the one I ordered but he said all of this are the same variants, apparently he only took Suriname only, no Peru. Right on!

Suriname variants have plenty of spots when reached certain size. Indeed just like what Wes told. There's a debate going on about the piraiba like in the picture below being a hybrid and what not. I'm calling B. filamentosum cf. Suriname

Screenshot_20181012-222839.jpg Screenshot_20181012-221925.jpg

Last edited:

Winterose

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Ontario, Canada
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 yeah, it's definitely hard to tell at 6", there's nothing really distinctive between it from other Fila variants, at least from what I see.

Though, the head shape seems to be a tad different in that it's more slender / streamline (flatter?) Which I feel is something of a trait in a Suriname.. but hard to tell from pic :/

Good luck with the Fila once it's here! Fascinating species ! :) Can't wait to get a close look on them, once my friend brings a couple in

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great thread and I can't get enough of your 720 gal - looks marvelous with thick and thin roots, very eye-pleasing.

Can someone summarize the differences they see between the Peru, Brazil, and Suriname piraibas?

Say at 6", 1'-1.5', and 2'+?

There has been a LOT of talking about this lately here by several peers, including you, and I admit I am a bit vague on the picture at large.

I still have our one Suriname fila at 3' and a pair of Peru filas at 1.5', still spotted. I am willing to share the photos / videos of both to see if my fish conform to these differences that you bring about.

fugupuff fugupuff Wes, it'd be nice to hear your authoritative word here so we establish it as a benchmark and work off it.

vincentwugwg vincentwugwg Vince bro, your input would be kind of you too.

fishtankphil fishtankphil Same with you, Phil.

H HELIOX

Rpul Rpul

you too bros, please.

Last edited:

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
I’ll quickly comment, then do a more detailed comment later on. As I’m rather busy at the moment.

The piriba you saying is Surinam. I think it’s not. There’s a huge colour difference from
My personal experience seeing both in then the flesh. Suriname are very silver, a lot More spots even on a small fish around 5”. That looks to me a Brazil/ previuvan piriba.

As said, I will go into it more and get some pictures of my Surinam piriba what’s at the shop currently to back my story up.

As again. This is just my thought, I could be wrong.

Tanks looks wicked as always my friend.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Rpul Rpul actually it's not entirely true. Below are the photo from Suriname exporter, wild caught Suriname piraiba at small size, probably 5-6". At that size, they have lesser spots, probably will developed in time. As my Brazilian developed many spots below lateral lines after reaching 14". But seeing from the picture there're 2 variants, darker one have more spots than the lighter one. Interesting thing.

The Suriname I ordered was placed in a dark gravel, probably why it is darker. The picture below have the same look to the one I ordered, can't wait for it.

FB_IMG_1539016384619.jpg

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter can you get side shot of your 3' Suriname? Suriname piraiba have distinctive curve snout, unless yours already damaged his snout. How's your peruvian? It's been a long time since you had any update on them

Reactions: Winterose

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
Sharing my personal and other collector's experiences:

Suriname Piraibas -

I do have a few Suriname Piraibas, and am growing out two groups bought at 2 separate instances. The largest fish around 30 inches give or take a few.

In both groups, the dominant specimen will become very dark. The dominant fish will also grow faster than the rest. The less dominant animal will retain the spots and will have a silver base. The spots are not small and will be reduced to only a few when they grow beyond 12-18 inches. They also seem to have a longer and more streamlined body. Less stubby.

Behaviorally, they are calm. My groups will generally coexist peacefully unless their size difference is significant.

Over the last few years, Suriname Piraibas have been more available here in Asia except for this year.

Peruvian Piraibas -
These have been very rare in my part of the world, and I know of only a few specimens that were imported in the past.

They seem to look shorter, and stubbier... They are taller / thicker around the dorsal fin area. Photos have been shared to me from other collectors who had the opportunity to grow them out. Specimens that were 24 inches were peppered with small black spots. Similar to the photo above with the cichlas. These are beautiful fish.

This year (2018) there has been A LOT of Piraibas that were imported into Asia that were identified as Peruvians, so I bought another 2 groups from 2 separate shipments. These baby fish are more skittish than the Suriname locality. They are more excited during feeding time. Some damaged whiskers, fins and filaments result from this feeding behavior. The spots are not yet peppered and are very similar to juvenile Suriname Piraibas. The main difference I can see in juvenile specimens are: (1) Body Shape (2) Behavior

In time I will see if they pepper up in small spots, which is what Im looking for.

Brazilian Piraiba -
No chance to get one yet... maybe one day :)

PHOTOS ON THIS THREAD:

1ST PHOTO OF DARK PIRAIBA -
LOOKS THICK AND SHORT TO ME, THE TOP SNOUT IS SLIGHTLY DAMAGED DOWNWARDS. NO PEPPERED SMALL SPOTS. ( MY GUESS IS BRAZIL )

2ND PHOTO OF JUVENILE WITH ALBINO PLECO -
LOOKS STREAMLINE, MEDIUM SIZE SPOTS ( LOOKS VERY SURINAME )

3RD PHOTO OF MEDIUM SIZE WITH CICHLAS -
LOOKS THICK TO ME, PEPPERED SPOTS ( LOOKS VERY PERU )

ALL OF THEM VERY BEAUTIFUL FISH :)

When I describe the fish as stubby / short, think Vaillanti..ish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store