My brother wants a turtle.....

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
So my brother said he either wants a turtle or a snake and my dad said a snake is a definite no. But we might be able to get a turtle. It’s gonna be his but I’m gonna help him with whatever he needs. He said he wants these attributes:

-aggressive(will eat Minnows or feeders) I explained maybe once a month that can be a thing.

-has to be able to live in a 75 gallon tank for a long time if n forever

-does not like red eared sliders even though they outgrow a 75 anyway

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my brother said he either wants a turtle or a snake and my dad said a snake is a definite no. But we might be able to get a turtle. It’s gonna be his but I’m gonna help him with whatever he needs. He said he wants these attributes:

-aggressive(will eat Minnows or feeders) I explained maybe once a month that can be a thing.

-has to be able to live in a 75 gallon tank for a long time if n forever

-does not like red eared sliders even though they outgrow a 75 anyway
Maybe a small Musk Turtle.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I would stay away from snapping turtles. They get too big, can be very aggressive and if he is not paying attention when cleaning the tank he's apt to lose a finger.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah I'd agree with everyone else here saying that snappers are a definite no go. Honestly ime common snapping turtles are far more aggressive then the alligator snapper. Alligator snapper generally are a ambush predator meaning they sit in one spot all day long just waiting for food to pretty much swim into their mouth, they use their tongue as a lure for unsuspecting prey. A common snapper however is a chasing predator meaning it will actively chase down prey to consume. The common snapper may be smaller then the alligator but is far more aggressive in it's pursuit of food. An alligator snapper will also try to hide from danger rather then tackle it head on like the common snapper will. I've had it so many times out fishing where I would catch a common snapper just to have it run at me trying to bite.

Personally I would stick with a musk turtle as that's the closest thing I can think of to how a snapper acts/looks while still staying a manageable size and temperament. Lol even if ya get bit by a musk turtle it won't mean you'd be feeding him your fingers atleast, granted it'll still hurt but that just a boo boo compaired to what a snapper will do.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store