my CA cichlids

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I added two more fish, from COTA. These are the last two I'm adding for my initial growouts. I'm actually more heavily stocked than I planned due to grabbing the snooks. I may have to adjust sooner than later.

4.5" Cincelichthys boucourti

This guy came from COTA with some pretty rough looking dorsal and anal fins. Hope he heals up soon. My other fish did, so I expect he'll be fine. Love this fish, very beautiful. 100% a keeper for me. Already showing some orange, so that's a good sign. VERY active eater, loves NLS AlgaeMax.

bocourti_crop_02.jpg

bocourti_crop_01.jpg

3" Vieja argentea

This guy also came with some fin damage, not quite as bad as the bocourti though. He's the runt of the tank right now, but I expect that to change in time. Also an active eater, and also loves NLS AlgaeMax.

argentea_crop_01.jpg

argentea_crop_02.jpg

The AlgaeMax is great for these guys because the other fish go for the more meaty fare, and these two go for the AlgaeMax, so it makes it easier for me to balance feeding due to the FH not being very interesed in it. The carpintis does love the AlgaeMax as well.

So far everything is still quite peaceful. I think the Jack was happy to finally have someone to pick on so has chased these two around a bit, especially the bocourti, but that settled down after a couple days.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Was that just how the group shot turned out, or are the flowerhorn and carpintis hanging out together in the same area?

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Was that just how the group shot turned out, or are the flowerhorn and carpintis hanging out together in the same area?
They do hang out together. The fh is like the leader of the pack. The carpintis moves away if the fh moves in his direction, though.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Here are my parameters BEFORE today's water change. Last water change was Tuesday night, so 4.5 days. I'd say my Fluval setup is keeping up ok. No ammonia or nitrite, and maybe 5 ppm nitrate. I'm pretty darn happy with these readings. I had been seeing much higher nitrate levels previously, so I think the Biohome anaerobic colony has started to do its thing.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph:
parameters-2019-09-22.jpg

Reactions: Toiletcar

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
They do hang out together. The fh is like the leader of the pack. The carpintis moves away if the fh moves in his direction, though.
I noticed the carpintis striping up a bit in that shot, wasn't sure if stress or possible 'hey look at me' to the flowerhorn. I've seen gold base fh and carpintis outcomes and pretty amazing. Haven't seen red dragon or kamfa outcomes yet.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I noticed the carpintis striping up a bit in that shot, wasn't sure if stress or possible 'hey look at me' to the flowerhorn. I've seen gold base fh and carpintis outcomes and pretty amazing. Haven't seen red dragon or kamfa outcomes yet.
The carpinitis is definitely not stressed.

It would be interesting if the carpintis turned out to be female and they paired up ... pretty sure it's male though.

Reactions: Ozzie73
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store