My cichlids

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good luck!

What about the canister intake right next to them? Will it not suck fry up?
thanks,
Yes, I took the pic right when I saw the eggs there. I've since moved the intake a bit and going to put a pantyhose over it for a little while. Think i'll probably have to separate the fry pretty early on if I want them to survive, lots of stuff to eat them in this tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good luck!

What about the canister intake right next to them? Will it not suck fry up?
thanks,
Yes, I took the pic right when I saw the eggs there. I've since moved the intake a bit and going to put a pantyhose over it for a little while. Thinking i'll have to separate the fry pretty early on if I want them to survive, lots of stuff to eat them in this tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
thanks,
Yes, I took the pic right when I saw the eggs there. I've since moved the intake a bit and going to put a pantyhose over it for a little while. Thinking i'll have to separate the fry pretty early on if I want them to survive, lots of stuff to eat them in this tank.
Good plan. Does it not reduce the risk of the parents also going ham on other fish in their tank?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good plan. Does it not reduce the risk of the parents also going ham on other fish in their tank?
The parents have been "going ham" a bit. The pair are now the only cichlids allowed on the left half of the tank. The tamasopoensis stands up to them if they head to the right side though. She is a little bit bigger and uses the rocks to her advantage, posting up in a hole so she can't get flanked while flaring against the male. The other 2 panamensis basically get chased back and forth left to right.
If its there first spawn I would leave the fry in, I find it helps strengthen the bond
I have always heard that too, I think I'm gonna just see how well the parents do at defending first. I removed my bristlenose pleco because he was going too close to the eggs for my liking. At the very least I will scoop 10-15 out tho, don't want to let this whole batch get eaten.

Congrats grandpa
Thanks! fun times.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The parents have been "going ham" a bit. The pair are now the only cichlids allowed on the left half of the tank. The tamasopoensis stands up to them if they head to the right side though. She is a little bit bigger and uses the rocks to her advantage, posting up in a hole so she can't get flanked while flaring against the male. The other 2 panamensis basically get chased back and forth left to right
Oh dear, that sounds a bit boisterous! I'm sure it's very interesting to watch though! My fish have the parental instinct of a rock :D

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Oh dear, that sounds a bit boisterous! I'm sure it's very interesting to watch though! My fish have the parental instinct of a rock :D
Yup, has thrown a wrench in the tank's social scene for sure. Everything was pretty peaceful last week. Just goes to show how quickly things can change.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Update: panamensis are doing good, fry are free swimming and getting larger. Probably gonna scoop 5-10 out and leave the rest in there.

This isn't a cichlid, but wanted to upload a short video of my nano planted aquarium. Set video to 1080p if it doesn't do that automatically.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store