My Convict Cichlid frys get disapperared before free swimming (wigglers stage).. please help

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
194B75D6-4374-4838-A29A-4EC5D7F7291A.jpeg My Convict cichlid had their first batch of frys and they are disappeared in wiggler stage.. and it’s been one month they didn't lay second batch off egg.. what could be the reason.
(Its a 20 gallon tank with two pairs of convicts and both layed eggs at same time and same result for both the pairs, both the pairs had their first batch of eggs)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1354544 My Convict cichlid had their first batch of frys and they are disappeared in wiggler stage.. and it’s been one month they didn't lay second batch off egg.. what could be the reason.
(Its a 20 gallon tank with two pairs of convicts and both layed eggs at same time and same result for both the pairs, both the pairs had their first batch of eggs)
Welcome aboard

Sometimes inexperienced parents will eat the fry. Also parents will move fry around in different areas of the aquarium.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
A guess of mine would be- 20 gallons is not enough territory for 2 pairs of convicts. The pairs are probably stressed out by each other's presence. This could cause them to prematurely eat the fry, and also to hold off on having another batch. I would keep your favorite pair and re-home the others, or put them in another tank.

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
A guess of mine would be- 20 gallons is not enough territory for 2 pairs of convicts. The pairs are probably stressed out by each other's presence. This could cause them to prematurely eat the fry, and also to hold off on having another batch. I would keep your favorite pair and re-home the others, or put them in another tank.
Thanks alot.. second tank is in cycling process. Appreciated!!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with this, a 20 gal is too small for 2 pair, it will only fit 1 pair, or eggs will always disappear every time.
To me a 20 gal is too small for even 1 pair to raise a brood.

Reactions: Niyaz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store