My custom tank build with Bean Animal Overflow and Sump

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Great vids man thx for the explanation. I honesty always had trouble understanding the system. That second vid made it all click.

question though what does the airline tubing do in the open channel drain ?
Thanks!

It is actually an extension to the Bean Animal Overflow itself. Airline is attached to the second suction line and the other end of the airline when goes underwater within the overflow box , it creates an airtight chamber within the second pipe and full suction happens through the second pipe. It depends on the end position of the airline, at what level its maintained. That way we can have a second full suction as well.

Airline doesnt do anything direct to the open channel line, if we keep the airline end below the open pipe's level, the water level wont reach the open drain end and open channel will always be dry. Hope it clarifies.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Your set up is really nice and neat. I love your sump setup. I think I need to step down to 100 micron socks in my sump because i still get debris in my sump after a while. Your “bio sump” looks great and neatly organized

Reactions: narayanang76

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Overall I was happy with the tank building process and the outcome, and it was not an easy journey and it was enjoyable but, it was sometimes stressful, there were setbacks, issues, alongwith some highlights too. Let me take some time to explain some of them.

Setbacks & Learning:

· Making the bean animal overflow system work: It took some effort and time to make the system work seamless. I only had some reading knowledge with youtube videos, the reality with hands on was missing. With some error and trial, got the hang of the system and its working. One issue I faced repeatedly during testing/setup, was the for the first time usage, main suction would always have air trapped inside which would prevent water to go inside and a simple turning of the elbow ends within the overflow box slightly up would solve the issue. Once it is setup initially, it would run without any issues, until you remove the entire pipe of the main suction (siphon loss). I have power backup at home so I am not worried about power failure and siphon loss for regular days. For permanent solution of this issue, I have seen some videos where hole was drilled for this elbow section of the main suction pipe, the air would escape through it when water pushes it from below. And in a normal operation there would be at least an inch of water above this hole on the pipe so air won’t get sucked through it. Later, I learnt some techniques to enhance the BA system itself and now I have my secondary drain to act as full suction, in case any blocks happen in the main suction pipe.

· Plumbing: I did the entire plumbing myself as DIY. Some of these parts used in the plumbing for my tank were new to me and I took some time to learn and fine-tune its functioning. There has been more than a few places where plumbing needed to be tweaked or re-done due to leakage or concern with potential leak in future. Mainly the following points:

o Plumbing near Overflow box: I had to fix it, remove it and re-fix it many times to get it properly working. Also since my first PVC overflow box failed and I had to remove the entire plumbing drains and re-fix it again during that time.

o Interconnecting the two Sump tanks: Here I had to spend one full weekend to set it right. Once the water level would raise in the sump, some point would start with minor leak. Tried with different oversize washers and it wouldn’t help. Finally I had to make custom oversize rubber sealing myself and use it, it did the trick to arrest the leaks. Many a times I felt that going with a single sump tank could have helped me to avoid this problem.

o End point of the return pipe: The return end point into the tank was always making some noise when I kept the end above (even slightly) the water level. When I placed the end point slightly below (with elbow), then some amount of water would return back to sump (while stopping the pump). Finally solved the issue with two 120 degree elbows joined, it created a hump above water level, still the end was within the water level of the tank, which made the water delivery super silent and it stopped returning of water to sump. Also using 120 degree elbow helped retaining water flow, compared to a regular 90 degree elbow.

o TIP: Do not fix permanently / use sealant for the end portion of the drain pipes (within the overflow box). This will help with some adjustments that may be needed sometimes. Since it’s within the overflow box, it doesn’t need a permanent fixing, as long as there are no leak externally.​

· Internal Overflow Box: Initially I had used a PVC based box as internal overflow box, its size was adequate and was fixed also properly, onto the glass of the tank, and also worked for few weeks. However I learnt it the hard way when it failed one day and I had to make an overflow box with 8 MM glass and then re-fix it again. This was during the tank testing process and while doing a water change testing, so I didn’t end up with water on the floor and didn’t have much issues/damages since water level within the tank was lower than the box. Learnt that glass is always better to be fixed onto another glass, with silicone, particularly when its going to be inside water.

· Filter Socks setup: Initially used a PVC pipes with holes to hang the filter socks to the first chamber within the sump. Used ‘S’ clamps to hang these filter socks. However I realised, keeping the socks within a gap on a plain surface is more effective. After some searching nearby glass shops, finalized for an Acrylic sheet and got it cut the middle portion as per the diameter of the filter socks that it could sit on it properly. Now the change of filter socks is far more convenient and it looks better as well.

· Tank Background: The guy who helped me make the tank and silicone it, came with background films, sticker type. Since I was already having blue color background earlier, decided to go with blue on the new tank also. The guy decided to fix background film first on the glass, and then I saw him struggling to set the tank, since the film would move and had to re-do many parts of the background film. One learning I had from this is that, fix background/film only after tank is set, setting the tank is the first priority.

Some Highlights:

· When I realized that my plumbing lines can go through the design holes on the side of the stand, either side, this was not planned, but somehow it happened. It helped me to simplify my plumbing lines and avoid many elbows, turns and to help water flow faster and easier to/from sump.

· First when the Bean Animal Overflow system worked and realized how silently it can run.

· When on the first day itself in the new tank, Flash, our Asian Arowana took its food

· Weekly water change and cleaning easier, compared to my old tank with canisters

· Receiving some appreciation about the entire tank setup from some experts.

I am a beginner when it comes to custom tank build, sump and bean animal overflow system. There are many other experts who have done this for a long period of time. Will be happy to answer any queries or provide help to anyone that is looking for, from what I know of.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Just to update: The BA setup is running smoothly without any issues. My overall maintenance effort has also reduced (compared to my earlier smaller tank) and weekly water changes have become less tiring. I dont need to spend time scrubbing the glass for my display tank or sump tanks every week (I do it once a month now), thanks to my 100 micron filter socks, I ensure that the socks are changed periodically and every drop of water only filters through socks. This way my media in the sump also remain clean and I havent cleaned them after setup few months back.

BeanAnimal Overflow is also working in perfect silence and flawlessly. During water changes am doing the following steps.
  • Close the valve on the main suction line (water remain in the line above the valve)
  • Switch off the return pump (some water goes through the secondary drain line and stops immediately)
  • Do the water change and fill water up exactly the spot in main display tank
  • Switch on the Pump
  • Once the overflow box has more water, open the valve on main suction line
This way, Main Suction line comes into play immediately after water change and no need for purging the air again.

Cheers
narayanang76

Reactions: jaws7777

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Nice job '76, and for the detailed summary.

BTW, adding loc-lines for the return may also provide additional flexibility if you want to adjust flow. If you do change, make sure you account for changes in your return back siphon to the sump.

Reactions: narayanang76

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Nice job '76, and for the detailed summary.

BTW, adding loc-lines for the return may also provide additional flexibility if you want to adjust flow. If you do change, make sure you account for changes in your return back siphon to the sump.
Thanks. Right now am not planning to do that but when I do, will definitely consider that. I managed to make no water return by pump line to sump and for now I can manage pump flow by pump volume setting. Am happy with it for now.

Just to share the condition of my sump tank and media after around 4 months usage, with no inside cleaning after setup, except some wiping of dust from outside glass surface. Thanks to 100 micron Filter Socks.

IMG_20180330_193014.jpg

IMG_20180330_193027.jpg

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Update: After almost 5 months usage and no cleaning and maintenance to sump tanks, this weekend was dedicated for that.

1) I added some more media to sump, lava rocks and ceramic rings, additionally 15 kg more. Total around 30kg media went in my sump now.
2) Rearranged some media to save space and proper filtration. Created an additional partition in the return chamber with a acrylic sheet, it's not hard fixed to the glass. Just a logical partition.
3) Cleaned sump tank inside and eheim pump. Cleaning was relatively easy and hassle free. Pump has become even more quiet after a regular wash under tap.

Found some minor amount of biological waste debris under the old media in the sump. This was after 5 months of usage. Vacuumed it up and rinsed old media, hope that it will run for another long duration without any hastles.

IMG_20180422_083047.jpg
IMG_20180422_082934.jpg
IMG_20180422_082919.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store