My custom tank build with Bean Animal Overflow and Sump

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Some Bad News. Last week end during water change, the Top horizontal Bracing on Front glass side was found cracked at 3 spots. I have no idea how it happened, and I am certain it was not there during previous week end. Its almost 6 months now the tank is setup, and nothing changed recently. I am doubting Flash, my Arowana for this damage, it is near the top corner where he usually hangs around, its his feeding place and circumstantially I found a long scratch on his head at the same time.

I checked with few of my friends-experts by sharing a video and few photos and the advice I got is that structurally there are no issues so far. But I am going ahead by placing order for 2 new horizontal bracings and 2 new vertical bracings. Mainly because I am worried, if the same thing if it happens to the vertical center bracing and it cracks, then the tank can potentially crash. I believe the 2 new vertical bracings I am going to add, will prevent any such issues in future by providing additional support.

The way the tank is constructed:
All Glass - 15 MM thickness
Bracings - 12 MM. Have Bracings at Bottom of the tank and Top of the tank.
Top has 3 Vertical Bracings. 2 Two Inch wide Bracings on the side, which hold the side glass along with Front and Back Glass. 1 Centre Bracing 6 Inch wide hold Front and Back Glass. The Cracked horizontal Bracing is placed under the 3 Vertical Bracings, so the primary job it does is holding the Front glass and preventing any bending.

Sharing a Video showing the cracks:

BTW the tank is still running when I took the video, Bean Animal setup almost silently.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Update: I fixed this cracked bracing during mid June 2018, did it myself, as DIY. I got the 12 mm bracing pieces cut to measurements from a nearby glass shop. To be on safer side, I added additional horizontal brazing on each of the front and back glass. I also added 2 more vertical brazing on top.

I managed to do the work by reducing water level to half, without moving my Arowana.

Now hope there won't be any more such issues with the tank.

Some pics:
IMG_20180617_072045.jpg
IMG_20180617_072102.jpg
During curing:
IMG_20180617_080441.jpg

Back up and running:
IMG_20180624_132617.jpg

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Update: I fixed this cracked bracing during mid June 2018, did it myself, as DIY. I got the 12 mm bracing pieces cut to measurements from a nearby glass shop. To be on safer side, I added additional horizontal brazing on each of the front and back glass. I also added 2 more vertical brazing on top.

I managed to do the work by reducing water level to half, without moving my Arowana.

Now hope there won't be any more such issues with the tank.

Some pics:
View attachment 1329541
View attachment 1329542
During curing:
View attachment 1329543

Back up and running:
View attachment 1329544
Looking good. I'd get lids on that if you haven't already ;-).

Reactions: narayanang76

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Update:
Set up has been running smoothly so far. Nowdays I am changing the filter socks in 2 weeks. Continuing with my weekly water change of 40-50%.

Last time I cleaned media in the sump was some 5 months back (March 2018). Haven't even moved/ touched media, other than filter socks. currently the media appear clean and without any debris/deposit. Compared to the cleaning effort I had while I was having 2 canisters on my earlier tank, this sump set up with filter socks is much a relief.

Even I am finding the sand bottom in the display tank are clean and debris free, thanks to the wave maker that runs on a timer, for half hour daily. I am not doing any cleaning of substrate, just removing water and filling back. Not even scrubbing the glass too.

Photo attached:
IMG_20180923_141808.jpg
IMG_20180923_141933.jpg

Question: is it ok if I leave the sump media without cleaning/rinsing for this long duration? Will it be ok or any issues?

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
I don't know how accurate it is, but I tried with an App called 'Sound Meter' checking sound decibel level.

I am getting an average reading of 33-35 dB in my living room, near the 220g while it's running. I am also not sure if it's a good reading or not, anyone else tried similarly?

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Today dedicated to cleaning sump and media after around 7 months. This was second time cleaning after it was setup 1 year back.
Just removed media and rinsed it in tank water. Wiped the sump tank glass and put media back. Sump was more or less clean and only found some residue of ceramic rings amall particles nothing else . Hope now it runs similarly for another 6 months.

IMG_20181201_175700.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store