My Fire Eel Jumped!

SGomez109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
Hey everyone,

Last night my fire eel jumped out of our 120 gallon! Ive had this fire for about 4 years now and he has never done this before. I thought the tank was safeguarded well but I guess not. Anyways, my tank is a little more than five feet tall. I literally have to get on a step ladder to get in it. As I was thankfully watching tv last night next to the tank. I heard my crazy 16 inch fire eel make a huge splash and fall in the back of the tank. Thankfully again, I reacted in time and scream for my husband. We got him from the back and brushed him off immediately and put him back in in less than 3 minutes. He didnt move for like 10 second in shock on his side (thought he died for real) then rushed back to his cave. I checked on him all night. He lost his slime coat, was pale and breathing very hard. He now has his color back and isn’t breathing hard but he refuses to leave his cave though and doesnt want to eat. This guy is always begging me for food and I just absolutely adore him. Any advice to help guys? I don’t really see any damages on his body but he wont leave his cave so Im not 100% on that, I put stress coat in yesterday and melafix. It such a big drop Im worried he’s hurt internally...? Am I over thinking this? He’s moving and has turned around in his cave and looking at me every so often through the opening of it but is not coming to me or eating the worms I throw in. I REALLY don’t want him to die. This guy is the whole reason I have my aquarium. I havent slept from how often I came down in the middle of the night to check on him. My dog is super jealous lol. Its been 24 hours now. Has anyone else had similar experiences or advice on jump fish or eels?

He’s being kept with 8 Geophagus, 1 severum, 1 baby blue acara, 5 angels and about 6 cories. None of which pick on him. I’m currently double safeguarding by putting towels over the complete opening of my aquarium until the mesh screen i ordered comes in this week.

Sticky90

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2020
I’ve had bichirs jump out a couple times. They were back to normal in 2-3 days. All from the same height. I use duct tape to cover up every possible opening/weak point now.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wait it out. Probably just stressed. Cont to provide clean water and offer food. If everything is fine it should eat again.

SGomez109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
Omg, thank you. Thats actually very comforting. I’m happy your bichirs recovered. I’m going to duct tape some parts of the opening too. My eel is super fat. Im still not sure how he got through. Thanks for replying!

Reactions: tlindsey

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Definitely stressed but if it’s been 24 hours I’d think he’s out of the danger zone if he had seriously hurt his head, etc,. He probably won’t eat for another day or two, you could leave the lights off and maybe reduce how often you walk in front of the tank. I know it’s out of a good place but it could add to the stress if you’re constantly checking on him!

SGomez109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
I know! My husband has already scolded me saying the same thing. Ive forced myself to stay upstairs for the past 3 hours trying to give him some time. I’m really hoping he pulls through. Give his color is back and his breathing is normal again, I think we’re already making good head way. Its just weird to see my greediest baby not eat. Thank you guys for replying.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My old fire eel did that too! In fact after he did that his nose was also slightly bent which i found quite funny...

Anyway, since you got to him quickly you should be all good, mine got out and was out of the tank for at least 5min or more before my wife found him on the floor at which point i literally just dropped him back into the tank and left him be....

So you should be fine as long as water is kept clean as others have said then its just a matter of waiting for them to finish sulking over the accident...

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My old fire eel did that too! In fact after he did that his nose was also slightly bent which i found quite funny...

Anyway, since you got to him quickly you should be all good, mine got out and was out of the tank for at least 5min or more before my wife found him on the floor at which point i literally just dropped him back into the tank and left him be....

So you should be fine as long as water is kept clean as others have said then its just a matter of waiting for them to finish sulking over the accident...
I could never have a Fire Eel because my wife would have left it on the floor running to find a place to hide. She will call though because I told her that my Silver Hatchet fish could fly across the water. Well one jumped out the wife called me from our bedroom with the door locked and Hatchet fish was dried up on the carpet.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I could never have a Fire Eel because my wife would have left it on the floor running to find a place to hide. She will call though because I told her that my Silver Hatchet fish could fly across the water. Well one jumped out the wife called me from our bedroom with the door locked and Hatchet fish was dried up on the carpet.
Lol, my wife screamed like crazy too telling me that the eel had jumped and when i asked her why she didnt grab the net and put him in the tank, she just said, i ain’t grabbing that wet slimy eel...

• Haha
Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

SGomez109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
Oh my goodness! I didnt think about getting a net. I grabbed him with my bare hands trying to get him as fast as possible. But he get kept slipping from between my hands. They’re surprisingly very strong. My husband got him finally and was like “I can’t believe how much muscle this guy has! We’ve need to stop calling him fat. He’s going to be swole now.” ? I have great news! He’s begging and eating worms from my hand again. Thank you guys for responding. I just adore my eel. Seeing him like that was just breaking my heart. Hilarious about your wives though. I thought wives reacting that way was just stuff you see in the movies! My mesh screen is coming in today. Wish me luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store