My fish room finally starting to come together 01-09-2011

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
They put some good weight on them, since the last time I saw your updates. Damn growing like MONSTERS!!!!!

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
They're all getting big! My one TSN is a BIG girl. She measured 32.5" back in June when we moved. I have no idea what she is now. I pulled my 'little' granulosa catfish out of the pond and threw him in the 600 the other day. He looks tiny, but he's just over 14 inches. The smallest of the three niger cats is a little longer than he is. So, to give you an idea, the little dude in the middle is about 15".

Isn't he cute!?!?

willys-1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Peabody,MA USA
Love the nigers ! They definately will get big & bulky (like tanks).

The ones that I have range in size from 16" up to almost 40". The oldest is almost 8 years old.

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
willys-1;4784787; said:
Love the nigers ! They definately will get big & bulky (like tanks).

The ones that I have range in size from 16" up to almost 40". The oldest is almost 8 years old.
They do get some serious bulk on them. I think that's what is so shocking in their size difference between the smallest guy and the larger two is that around 20" they suddenly just start packing on weight. As much fun as they are in the tank, I really would like these guys in the pond so I can hand feed them since they are so gentle. Some of my favorite cats.

Sirspifalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Illinois
What do you nigers eat? Mine seems to only consume massivore sinking pellets. Also what was you method of moving those big dangerous guys? Thanks much

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Great fish room. I love the cats.

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Sirspifalot;4784840; said:
What do you nigers eat? Mine seems to only consume massivore sinking pellets. Also what was you method of moving those big dangerous guys? Thanks much
They pretty much eat anything thing that hits the bottom that's little and doesn't move. They were raised on hikari massivore, sinking cichlid pellets and algae waffers. I have since moved to NLS due to cost (2 cups of food a feeding gets expensive) and they all seem to be doing very well on it. My hybrid wasn't happy about the change in diet. Took him a month to make the switch. He now readily eats it and looks great. The nigers didn't care one bit and happily mowed down the extra food that was supposed to be the hybrid's. They also will eat small chunks of tilapia or other fish fillets I throw in.

As for moving them... I put on a wet suit or exposure suit, a snorkel and mask, and scuba boots. I dont go in that tank without some sort of protection on. However, an exposure suit will do me little good against all those cats' pectoral fins. Up until now, I've used a sterilite tub that is strategically drilled so that fins don't get caught but water drains. I'll have to grab a picture. It has a lid that snaps on. They thrash around in there, but actually do quite well. It's much better than a net. However, they are in the middle of quite a growth spurt. I'm not so sure I'll be able to do this again. I'm guessing that to move them next time, I'll have to do a very light sedation on the whole tank.

Chaitika

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
My nigers eat everything I care to throw in, including whole market shrimp. Pellets, nls wafers, massivore, xtreme 9mm pellets. Mine are only about 15" or so but man can they eat! Super docile though and safe with pretty much any fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store