My main tank setup

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Yup thats what i was getting at. Eat a cichlid maybe but polys really dont have the hardware to win a fight vs a cichlid lol
I agree but the Cichlid's even the aggressive ones completely ignore poly's. It is like the poly's don't exist even if they rub against them. I can say fairly confidently that you could grow out and keep semi aggressive and aggressive american cichlid's with poly's and be fine if you wanted to. Seems to be the same with my gars. They are completely ignored by the cichlids at this stage.

Tank looks good, i wont mix a small UJ with lower in my opinion, in my experience with them it went south, my endli ate my sen:D
Thank's for the info that's the kind of information and experience I need to know about lol. What size was your tank at the time? What were the sizes of the poly's involved? Thanks for the positive feedback about the tank. It needs some more sand and It feels so bare with nothing in it :(

Last edited:

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Thank's for the info that's the kind of information and experience I need to know about lol. What size was your tank at the time? What were the sizes of the poly's involved? Thanks for the positive feedback about the tank. It needs some more sand and It feels so bare with nothing in it :(
I had experienced different type of poly eating another poly. My first encounter was with a 6"ornate that ate my 3" endli, my second one was a 7" congicusate a 4" beuttikoferi and a 6" palmas polli, my third one is a 14" endlicheri that ate a 6" senegal which i had a video of the senegal in the endlis mouth but the endli got spooked when i tap the glass and release the sen, but the same night that same endli went after the sen.:(
Im not sayin LJ and UJ cant live together in the same tank, but just need to watch them carefully and dont trust a ornate and endli since imo they are the most aggressive in the polys world, endli being the most aggressive in LJ and ornate in UJ.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I had experienced different type of poly eating another poly. My first encounter was with a 6"ornate that ate my 3" endli, my second one was a 7" congicusate a 4" beuttikoferi and a 6" palmas polli, my third one is a 14" endlicheri that ate a 6" senegal which i had a video of the senegal in the endlis mouth but the endli got spooked when i tap the glass and release the sen, but the same night that same endli went after the sen.:(
Im not sayin LJ and UJ cant live together in the same tank, but just need to watch them carefully and dont trust a ornate and endli since imo they are the most aggressive in the polys world, endli being the most aggressive in LJ and ornate in UJ.
Kinda my experience too.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Seems like the safest process for me would be:

1. Make sure upper jaw and lower jaw are roughly the same size before putting them in the same tank.
2. Make sure tank is big/sufficient size for the lower and upper jaws to coexist
3. introduce the endli to the tank of upper jaws and monitor
4. Once the ornates and endli start massively outgrowing the sens time to move the sens!!!

Do you guys agree?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!

1. Make sure upper jaw and lower jaw are roughly the same size before putting them in the same tank.
2. Make sure tank is big/sufficient size for the lower and upper jaws to coexist
4. Once the ornates and endli start massively outgrowing the sens time to move the sens!!!

Do you guys agree?
1. Depending on the upper jaw type...sen id say needs to be bigger, ornate same size, all depends on which uj you are talking about as most grow at different rates.
2. yes
3. uj in first may help didn't in my situation.
4 yes you'll probably have 2-4 months before you have to move or start thinking about moving the sens.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Genetics play a big role. Other member reported high growth rates with there cb endli. I didnt.

Only gaurantee with with community tanks is something will go wrong. At some point even the most well researched group of fish will have a trouble maker in the mix. Just gotta rile the dice

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay

Do you guys agree?
Sounds like a good plan, still just watch the endli, they are known to eat polys same size as them when they are young.

Reactions: magpie

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Genetics play a big role. Other member reported high growth rates with there cb endli. I didnt.

Only gaurantee with with community tanks is something will go wrong. At some point even the most well researched group of fish will have a trouble maker in the mix. Just gotta rile the dice
True just one of the joys of fish keeping especially cichlids you just never know what you are gonna get. Which is why I have made some big changes which you will see shortly :)

Sounds like a good plan, still just watch the endli, they are known to eat polys same size as them when they are young.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep an eye on this one. I have recently decided to add him to my main setup after a few major changes. Post to come shortly!

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
So here is an update to my situation. I came home again last Friday to another dead oscar..... I started with 4 which were supposed to grow out with the other small cichlids and fish in my main setup but now after all my aggressive cichlids bullshit I only have one which is in my medical/QT tank. He is doing ok luckily just had a weird jaw which can sometimes happen with Oscars. So after coming home on Friday to that third dead Oscar even after removing all ornaments/hides and after adding my newest oddball a Snakehead Gudgeon and checking him 15 minutes later to see fin damage I lost my ****. I removed my red terror, red devil, two jacks, convict, salvini, red forest jewel, green texas. Basically any potentially aggressive cichlid I removed. Only 5 cichlids remain now a robertsoni, green severum and what I believe to be a bocourti and two green terrors/ blue acara's too small to tell yet but I am steering towards green terrors. I also decided to add my endli and he has been good so far but just to be safe also removed my mini ornate. So here is my tank now in its current state. I also added back some poly safe hides cause they seem happier with them.

View attachment 20170805_062234.jpg

View attachment 20170807_061907.jpg

View attachment 20170807_061915.jpg

View attachment 20170807_061940.jpg

View attachment 20170807_061945.jpg

Also I hope you guys are actually jealous of an Australian / New Zealand only fish the Snakehead Gudgeon. He is awesome. He loves to chill on the bottom of the tank with the polys, swimming from time to time around the place. He is a peaceful fish :D

Last edited:

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
So here is an update to my situation. I came home again last Friday to another dead oscar..... I started with 4 which were supposed to grow out with the other small cichlids and fish in my main setup but now after all my aggressive cichlids bullshit I only have one which is in my medical/QT tank. He is doing ok luckily just had a weird jaw which can sometimes happen with Oscars. So after coming home on Friday to that third dead Oscar even after removing all ornaments/hides and after adding my newest oddball a Snakehead Gudgeon and checking him 15 minutes later to see fin damage I lost my ****. I removed my red terror, red devil, two jacks, convict, salvini, red forest jewel, green texas. Basically any potentially aggressive cichlid I removed. Only 5 cichlids remain now a robertsoni, green severum and what I believe to be a bocourti and two green terrors/ blue acara's too small to tell yet but I am steering towards green terrors. I also decided to add my endli and he has been good so far but just to be safe also removed my mini ornate. So here is my tank now in its current state. I also added back some poly safe hides cause they seem happier with them.

View attachment 1266932

View attachment 1266933

View attachment 1266934

View attachment 1266935

View attachment 1266936

Also I hope you guys are actually jealous of an Australian / New Zealand only fish the Snakehead Gudgeon. He is awesome. He loves to chill on the bottom of the tank with the polys, swimming from time to time around the place. He is a peaceful fish :D
I am jealous, i grew up taking care of SH back in philippines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store