My main tank setup

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The aggression sucks but some of those cichlids are heavy hitters...oscar are pansies when compared to central americans. Is that a bocourti ? Beautiful fish if so keep an eye out, i never kept one but heard they are a little nastier than pearsei and have basically the same appetites (garbage cans with fins) offer it some leafy greens like romain lettuce on a veggie clip

Reactions: magpie

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
The aggression sucks but some of those cichlids are heavy hitters...oscar are pansies when compared to central americans. Is that a bocourti ? Beautiful fish if so keep an eye out, i never kept one but heard they are a little nastier than pearsei and have basically the same appetites (garbage cans with fins) offer it some leafy greens like romain lettuce on a veggie clip
Yeah I have learnt that. Oscar's have nothing on american cichlid's and get bullied way to easy unless they are much larger. I think it is a bocourti but I never really confirmed it. Just kind of got it randomly from my LFS awhile back had no colour at all at the time but it seems to be growing well on new life spectrum and coloring up nicely and looking more and more like a bocourti lol. Strange you heard they are aggressive I have heard the opposite and that they are peaceful cichlids. Guess I will find out as its growth continues. My heavy hitters are in a separate tank for the time being until I workout what im gonna do with them. Also considering a catfish as another oddball to help keep the algae under control and look awesome. I believe you have some experience with catfish and poly's. Got any recommendation for large growing suitable catfish that won't eat poly's or become a meal themselves? I was thinking one of these guys possibly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel-tailed_catfish

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_Raphael_catfish

any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah I have learnt that. Oscar's have nothing on american cichlid's and get bullied way to easy unless they are much larger. I think it is a bocourti but I never really confirmed it. Just kind of got it randomly from my LFS awhile back had no colour at all at the time but it seems to be growing well on new life spectrum and coloring up nicely and looking more and more like a bocourti lol. Strange you heard they are aggressive I have heard the opposite and that they are peaceful cichlids. Guess I will find out as its growth continues. My heavy hitters are in a separate tank for the time being until I workout what im gonna do with them. Also considering a catfish as another oddball to help keep the algae under control and look awesome. I believe you have some experience with catfish and poly's. Got any recommendation for large growing suitable catfish that won't eat poly's or become a meal themselves? I was thinking one of these guys possibly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel-tailed_catfish

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_Raphael_catfish

any thoughts?
Well not aggressive like the true maniacs in the cichlid world but more so than a pearsei who people also say is mellow...mine is anything but mellow but in the end it boils down to the individual fish. lol boc's are gorgeous man and get big and impressive looking. If it were my tank i'd get rid of all the heavy hitters amd keep the boc....they arent too common either. Can u get nls algaemax ? Great food and would benefit the boc (herbivore)

Those cats wont eat algae...infact no cat will. Allot of people keep irwini with polys and have great success. I think the striped Raphael is a cool cat but i would get them at a larger size. Im planning on keeping my liosomadors oncinus with the polys as they are chunky so should be safe.

Plecos are said to eat algae but really make more of a less than they are worth. Bushy nose are said to be great for algae control but still need to be fed and would probably stay too small to be kept with polys longterm. Pseudacanthicus are awesome plecos but are carnivores so wont do squat for your algae. I had a beautiful L600 but had to rehome it becauae of the pearsei. Infact i had two different L600's that never messed with my polys...reallly miss them such cool fish

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Well not aggressive like the true maniacs in the cichlid world but more so than a pearsei who people also say is mellow...mine is anything but mellow but in the end it boils down to the individual fish. lol boc's are gorgeous man and get big and impressive looking. If it were my tank i'd get rid of all the heavy hitters amd keep the boc....they arent too common either. Can u get nls algaemax ? Great food and would benefit the boc (herbivore)

Those cats wont eat algae...infact no cat will. Allot of people keep irwini with polys and have great success. I think the striped Raphael is a cool cat but i would get them at a larger size. Im planning on keeping my liosomadors oncinus with the polys as they are chunky so should be safe.

Plecos are said to eat algae but really make more of a less than they are worth. Bushy nose are said to be great for algae control but still need to be fed and would probably stay too small to be kept with polys longterm. Pseudacanthicus are awesome plecos but are carnivores so wont do squat for your algae. I had a beautiful L600 but had to rehome it becauae of the pearsei. Infact i had two different L600's that never messed with my polys...reallly miss them such cool fish
Yeah I could get the algaemax. I don't believe this thing (possibly a Bocourti) is a herbivore though. Seen it smashing prawns, bloodworms and fish fillet as well as the new life spectrum and carnivore sticks. I just thought a catfish might be a cool oddball addition. I was trying to avoid the pleco's as I am paranoid about them sucking off the slimecoat on poly's. Do all species/types of pleco do this to polys? I think the eel tail catfish look cool lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah I could get the algaemax. I don't believe this thing (possibly a Bocourti) is a herbivore though. Seen it smashing prawns, bloodworms and fish fillet as well as the new life spectrum and carnivore sticks. I just thought a catfish might be a cool oddball addition. I was trying to avoid the pleco's as I am paranoid about them sucking off the slimecoat on poly's. Do all species/types of pleco do this to polys? I think the eel tail catfish look cool lol
Bocs are definitely herbivores, doesnt mean they wont eat other foods but veggies will better suit them.

I dont know about the pleco thing. I had two L600's and an L200 will my polys and never had a problem.

Yeah man cats are definitly awesome. The eel tail is cool looking but i dont know much about them. Post in the catfish section, they wont steer you wrong. Some people keep tigrinus with polys but i also hear the polys might nip they're streamers so.....

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Here are the plecos/catfish I have with no problems with my bichirs L027a Xingu Royal Pleco, L190 Royal Pleco, L264 Sultan Pleco, Bristlenose Pleco, L137 Bruno Plece, and striped raphael. I have had a common and a sailfin that have been a problem

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Here are the plecos/catfish I have with no problems with my bichirs L027a Xingu Royal Pleco, L190 Royal Pleco, L264 Sultan Pleco, Bristlenose Pleco, L137 Bruno Plece, and striped raphael. I have had a common and a sailfin that have been a problem
How big is your striped Raphael and which which poly species to do you have with it? What size are they?

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
my striped raphael is 4.5" and currently is with a 5" albino sengalus but that is only because when rearranging decorations between tanks I couldn't get him out of a decoration that was being moved to my growout tank. Previously he was in my main tank with a 10" delhezi, 10" Teugelsi, 9" moke, 5.5" ornate, 6" sengalus. The only thing I can say is if they have a place to hide you will rarely see them but when you do you will get excited.

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
So the guy I purchased my first Endli from is selling another good, healthy condition Endli for a decent price here which I decided hell yes i want a second Endli :D. Going to pick him up after work. I have a problem someone help me lol. Damn you guys and your amazing poly's lol. I have told myself no more poly's after this guy unless something amazingly rare comes up for a decent price. I have spend way to much on my current poly setup :(

No one tell my girlfriend she will lose her **** if she finds out I bought another poly even if it is at an amazing price for a Endli in Australia lol. I am sure she will work it out eventually I will see how long it takes her. I might hold off on the cats for now....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store