Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Malawi peacocks and haps

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

Wobbegong_Highwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2018
Yesterday i got a 125 gallon aquarium off of craiglist with a stand and filter and a lid. It is 72" 18" 22". I want to get some cichlids for it. I either want to do peacocks and haps or central and south american cichlids. For peacocks and haps I was thinking about doing a few different types of peacocks, electric blue hap, malawi eye biter, venustus hap and blue dolphin hap and maybe some synodontis. For central and south american cichlids I want fire mouth cichlids, blue acara, gold severum, jack dempsey, vieja, jewel cichlid, salvi cichlid, rainbow cichlids, and maybe a raphael catfish, oscar, honduran redpoint or rainbow shark.

Wobbegong_Highwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2018
They sound pretty cool, do you think 2 electric blues, 1 venustus and some peacocks would get along in a 125? Do you think they could coexist with eye biters and dolphin haps?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
If you do haps and peacocks then you will want to be careful with exactly which peacocks you mix with the haps. I've had both and now I stick mainly with haps, and some mbuna mixed with them. Pretty much the only peacocks I have with my haps now are OB's because they are somewhat similar temperament.

A lot of peacocks are on the more mellow side and won't do well with the more aggressive haps and the peacocks will end stressed and bullied out of food and will slowly waste away over time. So I would suggest either all haps (can mix some mbuna too) or an all male peacock tank.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would go for the africans. You seem to want to get a lot of different species; with the 125 if you went the large American cichlid route, you will be much more limited, will probably only work out with a few fish as adults. While with the africans, you can pack quite a bit more in the tank with success.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
While I myself favor CA cichlids I would second the Swami`s recommendation. The Africans will be easier to house together as they grow. The key being to not have fish with the same colors and plenty of hiding places and broken line of sight. Should be a fun tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store