My New 9" Premium Red Tail Golden Arowana Not Eating!

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Hello Guys,

I bought a new arowana on 22nd December 2017 which was transported to me by train and travelled for 40 hours in train. I picked it yesterday from the train station immediately after I cleared all formalities required by the railway department. As soon I got the package in car, I opened it and I saw the arowana was struggling to keep itself up and was floating upside down, I thought it has swim bladder disease but then I called the shopkeeper and he told me to add to my tank immediately.

After I reached home in another 30 minutes, I put the bag there for 10 minutes to match the temperature and as soon I opened the bag the water was freezing cold inside the bag as its winter here, my tank temperature is 28-29 degree. As soon I added him in the tank, he struggled for a bit then he was gasping but after 15 minutes, he recovered and started swimming normally. I kept the lights off till night to make sure he goes through less stress, right now too I have a red light on which aint too bright. Since last night I have fed twice, once yesterday and today morning but he completely ignored the food while other fishes finished eating.

He is in 350 gallon community tank, with a very good water flow, very few small fishes, sand and very good water parameters, i did 50% water change 2 days before to ensure everything will be good. I am very stressed due to this as its a Competition grade Super/Premium Red Tail Golden which I bought for almost $250. Please help me what should I do. I tried feeding him dried shrimp, hikari pellets, Azoo arowana pellets, the shopkeeper was also feeding him the same diet and he was in a community tank in the shop too. Right now he is swimming around exploring the tank and seems fine.

I have attached few pics of the tank, the bag he was delivered in and the arowana itself, also I will receive the certificate this week by post. Please Help, what should I do? How will or when will he eat? Will he be okay?

Kind Regards,
Additya

1.JPG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Reactions: Arowana1

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
try live food like baby frogs and ghost shrimp.... but be warned, there may be no turning back....

Reactions: Addi_13

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
try live food like baby frogs and ghost shrimp.... but be warned, there may be no turning back....
Bro,

I do not want to feed live as Live feed can cause diseases as there isn't many LFS nearby. The once which are nearby does not quarantine the fishes and most of their fishes have diseases. Also there is no shop here which offers ghost shrimp or frogs.

Regards,
Additya

Reactions: tlindsey

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Hello Guys,
I have uploaded a video which I took 2 hours ago. He is swimming at the top. Can you please have a look and tell me if he looks okay and will he be fine? He is the Link

Regards,
Addiya

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Your Arowana looks fine to me

Very beautiful... congratulations.

From experience with ours (we have a RTG, Super Red and my new baby a Chilli Red)

Arowanas can and often do go without eating one.. even two weeks after being transported or even moved from one tank to another in your own home

Stay calm and offer her food at every chance, when she is ready she will eat
Crickets and mealworms are a safe live food you can use to tempt her to eat if she starts taking long

My baby Chilli Red took about three weeks to start eating
When she arrived she went into my son's one tank with some fairly large cichilds which we dont usually do
I started noticing that even though they were not harming her they were too overpowering with their swimmig around and at feeding time
She was also always at the top of the tank from one side to the other
I then moved her to one of my tanks where she only has my two geos, blue acara, clown loaches, 2 dats and my rays
In two days she was behaving totally different, all over.. down at the bottom.. mingling with the other fish as these dont have the overpowering attitude of the large cichlids

Now she feels like the 'boss' of the tank and chases around for her food

So.... first thing relax.. keep trying.. they do sometimes take their time to start eating
Two.... watch that all those cichlids are not stressing her out as she is only a baby...

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Your Arowana looks fine to me

Very beautiful... congratulations.

From experience with ours (we have a RTG, Super Red and my new baby a Chilli Red)

Arowanas can and often do go without eating one.. even two weeks after being transported or even moved from one tank to another in your own home

Stay calm and offer her food at every chance, when she is ready she will eat
Crickets and mealworms are a safe live food you can use to tempt her to eat if she starts taking long

My baby Chilli Red took about three weeks to start eating
When she arrived she went into my son's one tank with some fairly large cichilds which we dont usually do
I started noticing that even though they were not harming her they were too overpowering with their swimmig around and at feeding time
She was also always at the top of the tank from one side to the other
I then moved her to one of my tanks where she only has my two geos, blue acara, clown loaches, 2 dats and my rays
In two days she was behaving totally different, all over.. down at the bottom.. mingling with the other fish as these dont have the overpowering attitude of the large cichlids

Now she feels like the 'boss' of the tank and chases around for her food

So.... first thing relax.. keep trying.. they do sometimes take their time to start eating
Two.... watch that all those cichlids are not stressing her out as she is only a baby...
Hello MariaS,

Thank you reading my post and replying descriptively. I am trying to relax and stay calm but as I am working whole day, it gets hard to calm down at times as for 8 hours I cannot see whats happening in the tank. I have asked my mom and maid to keep a close watch and inform me every hour if Arowana is fine. I just called 10 minutes ago and they said its fine and no cichlids are near him or troubling him. I know its just been 2 days and its in stress after 40 hours journey on train inside a freezing cold water bag. I really wish I could separate him in another tank but unfortunately, I only have one 50 Gallon tank other than this and that tank have a fullbody flowerhorn inside who will kill him instantly.

Yesterday when I dropped food he actually swallowed one pellet (Hikari cichlid gold), I was very happy but then he just spit it out the next moment. I also tried the arowana pellet but no luck. At feeding time cichlid go crazy though but I drop enough food (floating) so it gets distributed evenly everywhere in the tank and its right in front of him.

Yes as you suggested I just need to keep calm and keep an eye on him. It just gets hard as I dont want to lose him. Thank you so much though for your guidance, really really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Additya

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Find out what pellets was the aro previously on, maybe it is different from what you are trying to feed now...

At least he is trying to eat

Reactions: Addi_13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store