My New Thai Silk Juvenile - Male??

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Hey,

I have just purchased a new Thai Silk Flowerhorn, expecting delivery on Tuesday.

I have attached a few pics and a youtube link below..

It is sold as un-sexed due to only being 7.5cm, and cant be properly vetted.

I would like to get you guy's options on the sex and quality?

I would love a male, but if not, its not the end of the world, it will force me to but another. lol.. I just like the bit of black on it's side, the seller told me its very aggressive eater, and has high expectations its a boy.

It will be stocked alone in a 260 liter (4ft Curved) Tank with a 1400LPH Cannister filter, 2 x 300w heaters, and a small DIY water polisher. I am going to try it at the beginning with 3 rocks, and gravel, I can remove if needed once he gets a bit older, just want to give him a few hiding options at beginning.

It will be fed on Okiko Head Up (Just waiting on delivery), Prorezult Cichlid pellet, some flakes, and a mix of dried bloodworms, daphnia, shrimp and algea pellets, etc, which I currently have. I will also try with small bits of veg and beef heart once a week. Want to try it on as many foods as possible when he still small.

My Ph is is 7.2 and my tank has been cycled for quite a while, so hoping to just place him straight in to my tank after a 15 mins float in tank to get temps correct, I don't plan to do any drip acclimation or anything.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on sex and any advice...

Cheers

Vinnie.

Flowerhorn1.jpg Flowerhorn2.jpg Flowerhorn3.jpg tank.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Your tank will be tight when your FH matures. (if male) Food options are ok, except the beef heart. Beef heart is no Bueno. In fact the simpler the diet the better when it comes to FH, I raised all of mine on a strict diet of pellets.

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Your tank will be tight when your FH matures. (if male) Food options are ok, except the beef heart. Beef heart is no Bueno. In fact the simpler the diet the better when it comes to FH, I raised all of mine on a strict diet of pellets.
Hey RD,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah it all depends on how big he gets. I have attached a plan of my fish tanks. It's approximately 68 US gallons.

I think you are talking about the width of tank rather than volume. At its narrowist it's only 13" and at its max it's 18"...

If need be I'll just have to sweet talk the better half.. ha...

JuwelVision260_sizing.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hi Vinnie, I was actually referring to both. By the looks of the Thai Silk in the vid I would say it's a male, which as an adult has the potential to reach 12" or better. Keeping in mind the aggressive/active nature of most FH, your tank is going to be a bare minimum I would say.

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
Hi Vinnie, I was actually referring to both. By the looks of the Thai Silk in the vid I would say it's a male, which as an adult has the potential to reach 12" or better. Keeping in mind the aggressive/active nature of most FH, your tank is going to be a bare minimum I would say.
Mornung RD,

Thanks again..

I'll definetly look into getting a larger tank when needed...

What would you recommend dimension wise to house a 12incher?

Cheers

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Mornung RD,

Thanks again..

I'll definetly look into getting a larger tank when needed...

What would you recommend dimension wise to house a 12incher?

Cheers
By standard a 75 gallon should be great for a 12 inch flowerhorn 4 feet long and 18 inches wide the whole way through. In gallons in may not be much of an upgrade but the flowerhorn will have much more room and be more comfortable.

vinnie coyle

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2018
Ireland
By standard a 75 gallon should be great for a 12 inch flowerhorn 4 feet long and 18 inches wide the whole way through. In gallons in may not be much of an upgrade but the flowerhorn will have much more room and be more comfortable.
Perfect,.
I have just enough room in opposite corner of room,.

Thanks again...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It really depends on the FH, most Thai silk don't reach some of the massive sizes seen in other strains, but even still I would consider a 75-90 gallon as a minimum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store