My new tiger datnoid won't eat? suggestions?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I was looking to go with tiger barbs but none were available. Ended up with a bunch of black skirt tetras

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
So in the end i went and picked up some blood worms, he finally has a full belly lol went at them right away, i guess for now ill just feed bloodworms lol

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
I've had new DAts in the past take 2-3 weeks to feed
I've learnt not to stress about it-I think they let you know when they're ready but coming out more and being more reactive to you movements
Thats when I add different foods

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
So in the end i went and picked up some blood worms, he finally has a full belly lol went at them right away, i guess for now ill just feed bloodworms lol
Continue with BW. The trying part of keeping tiny Dats are coaxing it to eat. Just eat.

Once the IT reacts to you feeding every single time coming up to the glass, drop in Mysis shrimp. It is way more nutritional.

At such small size, I would jump on the chance to add bigger tankmates like what many have suggested; tetras or barbs.

Given time, pellets will end up in its tummy.

Reactions: islandguy11

ROY1204

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2018
toronto
Continue with BW. The trying part of keeping tiny Dats are coaxing it to eat. Just eat.

Once the IT reacts to you feeding every single time coming up to the glass, drop in Mysis shrimp. It is way more nutritional.

At such small size, I would jump on the chance to add bigger tankmates like what many have suggested; tetras or barbs.

Given time, pellets will end up in its tummy.
LOL I PUT A 2.5" PLECO WITH 6 ABOUT 1" INDO BABY TIGERS. THEY ARE ALL LOOKING AT MY PLECO AT THE FIRST DAY.
Btw, one of my tiger got one eye blind. I tried to put some salt and higher the temperature. And it still doesn't work. And now I see his eye is totally blind.. @_@

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
LOL I PUT A 2.5" PLECO WITH 6 ABOUT 1" INDO BABY TIGERS. THEY ARE ALL LOOKING AT MY PLECO AT THE FIRST DAY.
Btw, one of my tiger got one eye blind. I tried to put some salt and higher the temperature. And it still doesn't work. And now I see his eye is totally blind.. @_@
Try tetras, barbs or even rainbow fishes instead. Fishes that swim in the open.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
I ended up picking up a 2 inch flagtail I found at my lfs, they seem to be getting along nicely, although at first the datnoid nipped the flagtail tail abit but now everything seems to be fine

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I ended up picking up a 2 inch flagtail I found at my lfs, they seem to be getting along nicely, although at first the datnoid nipped the flagtail tail abit but now everything seems to be fine
Good choice, that's exactly how my NTT & (1" bigger) Flagtail started out: NTT showed him who was boss for about an hour but since then they've been good friends (even if the Dat does try to steal food from the FT lol). Though the NTT is about 5-6" now, sometimes he's shy to come out and feed until he sees the FT eating first.

They should do well together (though the FT will grow a lot faster), post some pix when you can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store