My polleni

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I haven't updated in awhile, I'll get a few more pics this week. He's been acting like a baby lately. I had to throw a white knight ahli from my 125 in with him. He doesn't like not being the biggest fish in the 55.

Reactions: magpie

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Well some bad news. First I've been working a lot, so I haven't had time to take any pictures. Secondly, I went in last night to turn out the lights and saw my polleni tried to eat the lone Cory that was in the tank. The cory's fins were sticking through the polleni's chin and next to his nostril. With a pair of manicure scissors I was able to snip of the fins and pull it out of his mouth. Hopefully he will be ok.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Oh no! I've heard of this happening. I hope he makes it. :(

The cory's dead I take it?

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
Well some bad news. First I've been working a lot, so I haven't had time to take any pictures. Secondly, I went in last night to turn out the lights and saw my polleni tried to eat the lone Cory that was in the tank. The cory's fins were sticking through the polleni's chin and next to his nostril. With a pair of manicure scissors I was able to snip of the fins and pull it out of his mouth. Hopefully he will be ok.
How big was he when this happened? Mines still small enough where pretty much everyone in the tank is higher up the chain than him. he keeps to himself unless its time to eat

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
3-3.5" maybe. He seems perfectly fine now, just going to watch him if there's any smaller fish put in the tank.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Gorgeous fish. I can't believe I missed out on getting on of those fish at my local pet store :(
There was a 10" inch male that ran a 100g in the shop with a 7" midas a couple of severums and a 5" Texas cichlid.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Thought I'd update this. We recently moved so I had to break down the tanks to go to the new house. I figured the polleni was big enough to go to his hopefully permanent home, my 6ft all male hap and peacock tank. He's about 5" now and I'll be watching for the next few days to see how he gets along with everyone.

IMG_20180225_175716642.jpg IMG_20180225_175637312_HDR.jpg

Reactions: magpie and Steve_C

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Funny timing because I just had to do the exact same thing 4 days ago. I had my 8" polleni in with my bichirs and geos and I just got a datnoid last week. The polleni has always been pretty mellow but for some reasonhe would not leave the 4" datnoid alone so I just moved my polleni into my 6ft hap tank a few days ago untill the other 120g tank is ready for him. You should be fine, mine gets along well with my haps and no issues at all.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Funny timing because I just had to do the exact same thing 4 days ago. I had my 8" polleni in with my bichirs and geos and I just got a datnoid last week. The polleni has always been pretty mellow but for some reasonhe would not leave the 4" datnoid alone so I just moved my polleni into my 6ft hap tank a few days ago untill the other 120g tank is ready for him. You should be fine, mine gets along well with my haps and no issues at all.
The whole reason I bought him was to eventually move him over to this tank. I like the haps and peacocks but wanted to try other oddball fish mixed with them. I also added 4 small and 2 very large spotted silver dollars to the same tank. I just added another fx6 to the tank, which already has an xp3 and fx5, should allow me to stock alittle heavier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store