My polleni

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
Nice Polleni! At what size could you tell that yours was most likely a male? My 2.5" TL polleni has a rounded dorsal fin, and I'm assuming that's one of the easiest ways to tell the difference when they're still juveniles.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
At around 3-4" the males develope a steeper profile, and females more torpedo shaped.
One caveat, if you have two males, one will probably be more alpha, and the other more subordinate male can mimic a female profile.
here is a male.

compare with a less steep profiled female

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Nice Polleni! At what size could you tell that yours was most likely a male? My 2.5" TL polleni has a rounded dorsal fin, and I'm assuming that's one of the easiest ways to tell the difference when they're still juveniles.
Thanks. Honestly I have no clue if it's male or female, I just called it a he.

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
At around 3-4" the males develope a steeper profile, and females more torpedo shaped.
One caveat, if you have two males, one will probably be more alpha, and the other more subordinate male can mimic a female profile.
here is a male.

compare with a less steep profiled female
Thanks! I'll wait until mine is a bit larger before trying to figure out what sex it is.

Thanks. Honestly I have no clue if it's male or female, I just called it a he.
I see. Some sources on the internet say that males tend to have more pointed fins whereas females tend to have more rounded fins, and I wasn't sure if that's what you were going by too.

AGB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2018
Houston
hey i got my polleni a month ago and he ate a bunch of fry in the tank that i put in there to make sure he was eating but they were all gone the next day (he is only a inch and a half) i dropped a blood worm cube right in front of him and he did nothing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store