My polypterus just died.. can anyone tell me why?

Nickydepon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2015
I bought a very pretty white polypterus and he had been with me for almost 4 month.
He was very healthy and very active. He loves to swim around his tanks.

Everything was normal yesterday. He eats and swim around normally like what he does everyday.
Until today when i woke up, he was dead and i really have no idea why.

Anybody knows the reason why?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If poly was fully grown when you purchased it , the poly may have been old , and near its time. Sometimes my bichirs get spooked and swim erratically swimming into aquarium wall at top speed some fish will injure themselves, and die. Please by no means let this keep you down, I have lost several fish since being in the hobby for several years now.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would take Hoplos advice and check ur water parameters as could be the culprit.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Captive bred polys are sometimes very inbred and have many health problems. Since yours is white or albino it is almost definitely captive bred mass production.

Nickydepon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2015
Thank u very much for ur advice... I will buy a new poly and take good care of him once again!
If poly was fully grown when you purchased it , the poly may have been old , and near its time. Sometimes my bichirs get spooked and swim erratically swimming into aquarium wall at top speed some fish will injure themselves, and die. Please by no means let this keep you down, I have lost several fish since being in the hobby for several years now.
d thi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store