My Red Wolf New Tank Project

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally had a Purple Wolfish in a 180 gallon with a Florida Gar, Silver Arowana, Spotted Silver Dollar's, Ornate, Endli, and Delhezi Bichirs and a couple of Geophagus. The Wolfish actually shared a area with a Ornate Bichir now in then the wolf would flare up but nothing physical.
The Purple Wolf was afraid of Cichlids when it was small.
Pic of my buddy passed a couple of years ago.

20161102_223448.jpg

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
First of all, thank you so much for the replies. Once again, i'm here not to push my Eryu to accept what i like to see, but to try everything comfort for him. If he prefer to live alone, then so be it, i'll let Eryu live alone. So, i just want to share any experiences from mfk members here. I just want Eryu to live happily, cause i know to bring him to a tank, no matter how big is the tank, its a great commitment.

Btw i just fill my 55 gallon tank and this is it.
IMG_20210305_233733.jpg

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
I personally had a Purple Wolfish in a 180 gallon with a Florida Gar, Silver Arowana, Spotted Silver Dollar's, Ornate, Endli, and Delhezi Bichirs and a couple of Geophagus. The Wolfish actually shared a area with a Ornate Bichir now in then the wolf would flare up but nothing physical.
The Purple Wolf was afraid of Cichlids when it was small.
Pic of my buddy passed a couple of years ago.

View attachment 1453574
Its a great Ery btw. It would be a great luck to have such big tank like that. But i know, i have to give the best chance for my Ery with this 55 gallon. Thank for sharing. I promise to do some bigger tank someday with my Gold Wolf.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Its a great Ery btw. It would be a great luck to have such big tank like that. But i know, i have to give the best chance for my Ery with this 55 gallon. Thank for sharing. I promise to do some bigger tank someday with my Gold Wolf.
That Purple Wolfish was in a 29 gallon by itself until the last 4 year's of its life. The 55 is perfect for your Gold Wolf.

• Love
Reactions: bettapatua

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
If you did tetras I would add a lot of vegetation. Buenos Aires are good because they are good sized but don’t cost a lot wise case scenario. Exodons are good but really expensive and may harass the wolf.
Larger, mild mannered cichlids like severums or acaras may stand a chance and not attack the wolf.
Banded leporinus would probably be fine. I kept mine with a piranha and he outlived it. They take any abuse and give it right back. Not really healthy for either party but possible.
Really with the predator characins it’s all a crap shoot.
Some lfs here sell some big tetras, luke columbian tetras. And also spotted talking catfish (agamyxis). I personally want to try some spotted silver dollars (metynnis). Thats why i do not put some plants there. Do you think smaller species of silver dollars will work?

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
That Purple Wolfish was in a 29 gallon by itself until the last 4 year's of its life. The 55 is perfect for your Gold Wolf.
Thanks. With the gold i want to try a 125 gallon with silver dollars (smaller species) or geophagus. Hope i can learn more from this forum.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Some lfs here sell some big tetras, luke columbian tetras. And also spotted talking catfish (agamyxis). I personally want to try some spotted silver dollars (metynnis). Thats why i do not put some plants there. Do you think smaller species of silver dollars will work?
Worth a shot. Have a backup tank ready like usual.
Silver dollars can take quite the beating. One of mine has been going for years with only one pectoral fin. I read about one that got stabbed through by a payara fang and survived.

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
Worth a shot. Have a backup tank ready like usual.
Silver dollars can take quite the beating. One of mine has been going for years with only one pectoral fin. I read about one that got stabbed through by a payara fang and survived.
And i'll take the shot. I really love sd's, esp the metynis. Sure i'll prep a backup tank if anything goes bad.

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
I kept my Red Wolf with a variety of other SA fish with no issues in a 125 along with three silver dollars, seven black skirt tetras, two L114 plecos, a couple of Rafael cats and three Geophagus "surinamensis" with no issues. Great fish that never went after tankmates. I fed him Bug Bites, NLS, pellets, and the occasional piece tilapia.

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
I kept my Red Wolf with a variety of other SA fish with no issues in a 125 along with three silver dollars, seven black skirt tetras, two L114 plecos, a couple of Rafael cats and three Geophagus "surinamensis" with no issues. Great fish that never went after tankmates. I fed him Bug Bites, NLS, pellets, and the occasional piece tilapia.
Thank you for sharing. It's must be a great tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store