My Ripsaw Catfish Has A Very Weird Wound On Him *Help*

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Today I found my beloved ripsaw catfish, Nigel, with a nasty looking mark on his back, and I am not sure what it is. Earlier this week, I saw that he had a scratch on his back, which I thought would heal up in time. I am not sure if this is what a healing wound looks like on a ripsaw, or if the injury got worse.
20210121_211354[1].jpg
20210121_211352[1].jpg

It is hard to get good photos of him because he is shy.

The tank water is very clean. I do 70-80 percent water changes every week. I do not have a water tester on me at the moment, so I am not sure what the parameters are.
His tankmates are an Indonesian datnoid, albino silver arowana, and a smaller royal pleco. His tankmates are all very healthy.

Nigel is also very healthy. He is eating every day and breathing at a normal rate.
I actually noticed his wound when feeding him right before I took the injury photos.

I am very worried since he is very close to my heart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Polypterus_36

vincentwugwg vincentwugwg thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
I know you guys are very experienced with these kinds of fish, so if you can help me, that would be great. ?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hard to see much with these photos. At least I don't see redness (inflammation) or whiteness (rot, fungus, etc). Beyond this I cannot tell what this is. By the size and location, looks like it could be a heater burn.

Our oxydoras never had anything like this.

There'd be no harm in netting the fish to gently bring it to the front glass to get good photos, if need be.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Hard to see much with these photos. At least I don't see redness (inflammation) or whiteness (rot, fungus, etc). Beyond this I cannot tell what this is. By the size and location, looks like it could be a heater burn.

Our oxydoras never had anything like this.

There'd be no harm in netting the fish to gently bring it to the front glass to get good photos, if need be.
Thank you! Nigel seems very healthy despite of this. In fact, he came out for a big pellet meal not too long ago.
I will try to get better photos with my next water change.
Do you think this will heal nicely or leave a permanent scar?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Whenever a fish has a good appetite, things are not bad and it must be on the mend.

IDK about the scar. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about identifying where the wound had come from and making sure it doesn't happen again.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Whenever a fish has a good appetite, things are not bad and it must be on the mend.

IDK about the scar. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about identifying where the wound had come from and making sure it doesn't happen again.
Yep. I propped the heater up on a piece of hardscape to keep it away from where he swims.
Hopefully he heals up and gets better soon. ?

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
You mention that you have a royal plec.
The mouth of the plec is not similar to the mark on Nigel by any chance?
Royal plec eat wood and when short on wood will test other things.
I was thinking about it, but could a royal pleco do that much damage? I don't really know. Besides, the aquarium is filled with driftwood and other hardscape material that I see the royal always chewing on, and he doesn't seem to bother any other fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store