My Second Attempt At A Planted Tank

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
The mystery plant showing sign of holes in leaves closest to substrates. Probably due to the fact they're in a tank that is not regularly dosed with ferts. Same plant used as a carpet bounces back nicely after numerous intensive trimmings.image.jpeg

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Wow looks beautiful

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Update time. Mystery carpet plant is showing signs of melting but after a serious trim, the plant comes back to life with new growth. I've left 1/4 of the tank for the carpet to continue growing. The melting plant was replanted in other side of tank before the trim. I'm not liking how the roots of the carpet are so visible. I'm now growing out s. repens, dwarf sags and HCs. I wish I hadn't thrown in those trumpet snails...great for cleanup but there are so many (started with 10) and they're constantly uprooting the HCs. Nice colors on the tiger lotus and at least 6 leaves of the dwarf lily has reached the surface.
image.png
image.jpeg

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats the problem with carpeting plants lime HC, you have to keep it trimmed quite close to the ground, or the plant underneath starts to die a bit and expose the roots...

Reactions: fisheatfish

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Before a much needed trim:
image.jpeg

Then this happened...LOL!
image.jpeg

The next day: The overflow box looks terrible but the sump it runs down to does such a great job in keeping the water crystal clear, I don't want to change it out.
image.jpeg

My intention was to thin out the thick growth which led me to pull everything out and in the end, I did not achieve what I set out to do. The new growth are so much healthier than the lower part of the plants, so I just plugged them back in and I wrapped new moss onto the driftwood. The tiger lotus & dwarf lotus produced new plants which I transplanted to different areas. I also picked up 10 decent size marimo moss balls ($2 each, why not?...impulse buy)...I'll open them up and see if they'll carpet. Still learning & experimenting.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Three weeks ago, I installed a simple, yet very effective diy co2 reactor...8 parts total with pvc cement along with a drill and maybe 10 minutes to put together. Approximately 26 inches in length.
image.jpeg

What amazed me is ever since the install, there is no sign of green spotted algae. I used to have to scrape them off the glass weekly or every other week and they would appear on the leaves of my anubias.

Reactions: KabobSoldier
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store