My Second Attempt At A Planted Tank

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Here's a google search for Iwaguami Style scape for inspiration. This is what more closely resembles your current layout. This style is a little more particular about the character of rocks. There may be things of this style that appeal to you that you'd might want to try since I think you've already accomplished the hard part the plant carpet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Iwa...X&ved=0ahUKEwiax-OoiqzRAhVk9IMKHfVmAp8QsAQIKg
Thanks for the eye candies...I like these two which are so different. Make me want to start up another tank.
iwagumi.jpg
iwagumi2.jpg

At this point, I'm at a standstill. Not sure what will become of the carpet I have. Definitely not what I had in mind...long term, that is. They're not spreading with runners...instead becoming more like individual plants. I pulled a few out to show how they're growing...almost 3 inches in length. Not sure what will happen to them after a trim.
20170105_181657.jpg
20170105_181251.jpg

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
I agree, they constantly graze so if there isn't enough algae or biofilm I'm sure they starve. I tried keeping them once (in my less experienced days) in a pretty new and non planted tank. They ended up dying. But I fell in love with them, so when I set up my planted tank I knew I had to try it again. They've been going strong ever since!

Mine dig out caves under the rocks or chill in the dense S. repens carpet I've got. I love how they swim, I think that's why I find them so entertaining to watch. The way they nibble when they eat is funny too.
Sounds very familiar..."had to try it again."

If these gobies will help control algae growth, I'm in...they look cool too. I've been feeding my shrimps spirulina flake food. I soak them and squirt them to the bottom. All the fishes love them. I think gobies may go for them as well.

Reactions: KabobSoldier

KabobSoldier

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Dallas,TX
Sounds very familiar..."had to try it again."

If these gobies will help control algae growth, I'm in...they look cool too. I've been feeding my shrimps spirulina flake food. I soak them and squirt them to the bottom. All the fishes love them. I think gobies may go for them as well.
They won't clean like amano shrimp or ottos.

Reactions: magpie

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
It has been approximately 30 days from the when the carpet sprouted from seeds and just mowed it. Let's see what becomes of these seeds. At this point, I'm ready to tear it out but I want to share with everyone as to what to expect with them. Still looks nice, I'm not very optimistic long term. Before the trim, I pulled a few out and replanted in another tank.

Before:
20170107_105938.jpg

After:
20170107_215002.jpg

Individual Plant From Carpet:
20170108_093849.jpg

Last edited:

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Individual plants growing well. Growth is slow in this tank due to lower lighting and no CO2 injection but I am dosing Flourish Excel. The ones I tried to grow out of water did not survive.
20170114_114508.jpg

Tiger lotus is taking off with 6 new leaves:
20170113_192213.jpg

Added a few longfin bushy nose plecos to the cleaning crew...they're as active as the ottos.
20170107_230730.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store