Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just a quick update. Lost the lighter colored shoe head catfish about 2-3 weeks ago. Just lost the other one about my 5-10min ago. Breathing heavy and out in the light. Similar to the other but today went way quicker. Not sure as to why. Both fish have no obvious disease (looking at it) and have been alone by themselves in a split 125g. Other fish on the other side are doing great. Might be just susceptible to disease since not in a black water tank (I assume this). Don’t think they are tolerant of the fl water.

A bit disappointed but not discouraged. If I find them again then I’ll keep these kind of cats again. Maybe a dedicated black water tank. Can’t say no to a good drift wood catfish. Thanks to any and all who came to my thread.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That's not what I wanted to hear :(

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well, it looks like we both failed our Wallace's Shoehead catfish but nonetheless we will try again and eventually we will succeed.

While I have your attention I would like to bring your attention to a new driftwood cat I found a while back I think you might like as well.
Helogenes marmoratus

Grows to about 3 inches and they have a very strange looking (to me) fin along their bottom which is in a way beautiful. I most certainly wouldn't mind getting a school of them in the future.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
sorry to hear.
My lfs has four wallace's in at the minute here in the uk but they are 3" at £39 each. Would love to try breeding them But want to know more about them first and of course still trying to breed the large group of Tatia Jaracatia. Good thing is my lfs have had them in now almost 3month and no one has bought them. They had the tatia in for 6mnth or more.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well, it looks like we both failed our Wallace's Shoehead catfish but nonetheless we will try again and eventually we will succeed.

While I have your attention I would like to bring your attention to a new driftwood cat I found a while back I think you might like as well.
Helogenes marmoratus

Grows to about 3 inches and they have a very strange looking (to me) fin along their bottom which is in a way beautiful. I most certainly wouldn't mind getting a school of them in the future.
Yes a nice driftwood sp. Had it before and hard to feed. Small mouths and picky with food. Still a good cat to get to thrive.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
sorry to hear.
My lfs has four wallace's in at the minute here in the uk but they are 3" at £39 each. Would love to try breeding them But want to know more about them first and of course still trying to breed the large group of Tatia Jaracatia. Good thing is my lfs have had them in now almost 3month and no one has bought them. They had the tatia in for 6mnth or more.
Wow. These don’t come to available here in the states. Late hours for feeding is tough but worth to keep.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yes a nice driftwood sp. Had it before and hard to feed. Small mouths and picky with food. Still a good cat to get to thrive.
Hmm, would you mind sharing the foods you were successful in feeding it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store