MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Reactions: J. H.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They are common goldfish/feeder goldfish. They can get to be 12" or more in a pond, but 4"-8" kept in a tank.

No special care is needed. Just keep the water clean and try not to over feed. keep an eye out for ich. Anytime I've ever gotten new commons I have an outbreak. Keep that heater handy to help speed it along if need be.

I didn't know fairs still give out goldfish as prizes.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have kept those before. They are 'common' goldfish. With feeders sometimes you can get lucky and even get sarasa or shubunkin comets or bristols, but you didn't. Commons are great fish anyway, always busy, will follow your finger and can learn to hand feed. If you take good care of them, they will be over a foot long in two years, and hit a maximum size somewhere around 16". They will do fine with higher temps (80+F), but they prefer about 65-75F. Since they are not "fancies", they can be kept with most community fish that are too big for them to eat. If you give then substrate, they will love you for it, they love to play with the sand/pebbles. They need veggies in their diet, like SAs. Also, don't try keeping them with plants, unless you don't mind them getting eaten,

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
They need veggies in their diet, like SAs
Too late to edit. It should say CAs/Tropheous/Mbuna. i just don't want to look stupid.

Reactions: DN328

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Great thing you have a tank!

These guys are pretty straightforward, make sure to keep the bottom clean. They also appreciate a shallow sand layer to forage through as well

Tempwise they'll take just about whatever but when you start going into the higher range extra oxygenation is required

As J J. H. said veggies are important in their diet and mine love lettuce (it's messy though)

Also don't be surprised if they start changing colour, it happens with goldies.

Good luck :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's probably a safe bet that those two little guys will outlive anything you've got too, so get them nice and cosy in s suitably sized tank, look after them and you'll be able to show them to your grandkids!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It's probably a safe bet that those two little guys will outlive anything you've got too, so get them nice and cosy in s suitably sized tank, look after them and you'll be able to show them to your grandkids!
Omg, I didn't know their lifespan was that long. Lol

Thank you all for the tips. I'll work on getting their tank setup a bit better over the next few weeks. Going to try and use this as a reason to setup my spare 29 that's in my shed, since I was planning on cleaning this one up to use for a planted tank.

Any ideas on growth rate? I'm wondering how long they will last in this 29 because I don't have anything larger I can put them in right now, and my wife has already said that she doesn't want anymore tanks. However, when these guys start getting bigger, I might see if I can convince her since she's the one who brought them home instead of me this time. Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store