My Tigrinus thread

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think it was about 2004 when I got him so I had the privilege of caring for him for about 13 years in total. I don’t know his age when imported but he was tiny no bigger then my finger. I got him with 3 others and 4 jurenses. I split them up into their own tanks and hand fed them all. I lost a lovely jurenses about 12 months into it and gradually so off the others to people I trusted to look after them correctly keeping the best Tig and Jurenses for myself. The big Juri died in 2014 but he wasn’t hand fed or as tame. I did go overboard keeping the Tig like that but I actually go so attached for some reason. Loved that fish
Thank you for that. How big was the 10 year old juruense? Was the tig and jur passing accidental or did it appear natural?

He gets a full belly every day but they he seems to be getting longer instead of thicker... I keep trying different foods and he takes most stuff now, might get him some words later see if that helps
Perhaps the tig's in the growth spurt. But it looked thinner in the video than what I am used to seeing at that length and age. Mind you it is only obvious in the video to me for like 1 second when it turns its dorsal side to the camera.

That’s ok then, I’ve had to treat the peacock bass for internal worms anyway and they’re all in the same tank so should be ok on that and he’s getting offered food until he refuses it every day so he should be ok :) the new problem is the giraff cat is being boisterous with him! Not sure if I should see how it plays out or find the giraff a new home
G-cats are most usually just overzealous feeders and are not bullies. Are you saying you observe something along side of bullying??

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Yea that Visio was only a day or 2 after I finally got him feeding so he is probably skinnier there than he is now but he’s still quite skinny compared to other shovel nose cats I’ve kept in the past, I’ll be trying to take some updated pictures soon anyway ;) It’s worse at feeding time but whenever he see the tig he chases him, they usually have their own spots but when either of them come across each other the giraffe cat charges at him and he tries to hide wherever he can, no damage or anything yet but I don’t want to leave it and regret it...

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
That’s ok then, I’ve had to treat the peacock bass for internal worms anyway and they’re all in the same tank so should be ok on that and he’s getting offered food until he refuses it every day so he should be ok :) the new problem is the giraff cat is being boisterous with him! Not sure if I should see how it plays out or find the giraff a new home
I’ve actually heard a few stories now of Giraffe cats harassing Tigs and/or Rays. Apart from the classic Asian Arow/Rays/Tig/ Flagtail and/or Dats bare bottom style tank I’m not a fan of mixing continents.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Just a quick update. He finally ate a whole frozen/thawed fish, I’ve been slowly trying to ween him off of the bloodworm and placing the small fish right in front of his nose with no success until tonight, he hit it instantly this time, hopefully if it wasn’t a 1 off he will start putting weight on even quicker with a more varied diet. I’m going to try and get a decent pic for the 1st Oct so you can all see how he’s doing :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store