My Tigrinus thread

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
C7598878-0DBD-405F-B078-A92932EBD0CD.jpeg 90B486E0-CAC8-4988-BBD4-9EDEB8D9B838.jpeg He was over 30” when he died ... nearly gave up fish keeping for good. Honestly I was so upset. When I got him the only thing he would eat was Cardinal tetras which I had to feed live on tongs ( at $2.50 each and he would eat 10 a day) then he got onto the live black worms etc. Eventually I moved the other gigs along as he was easily the nicest and because he was hand fed he became more then a fish. I have a Arowana that has become similar. I kept him alone in a 570g tank...I went a bit nuts. His lower streamer was smaller then his top one but I had ones with varying sized streamers.
These were from 2011 when he was about 22” ....he was 32” when he passed and thick like a TSN. Just a lovely lovely fish ...

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Absolutely stunning! I hope I have as much sucsess as you had with him. It just shows what time and hard work earns as almost anyone else that had him probably would have lost him. There’s definitely something special about these fish, out of all the fish I’ve owned this one is definitely my favourite already, I’ll keep updating and maybe one day I can show you a picture like that one :D

Reactions: Matteus

VNCNT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
rand mcnally
I’ve grown a few tigs to 20”+ before finding them new, bigger homes. It was never much of an issue getting them off live foods and on pellets. Start ASAP. Feed heavily whatever they like to eat to fatten them up then have them fast for a day or two and start offering pellets. Hikari carnivore delight or small sinking cichlid pellets. I had to drop the pellets right in front of the tigs. It was a reaction to bite the pellets I guess and all of them eventually ate what I offered. You’re not far off now that your tig is at least hitting pellets. It will break soon enough.

The lower streamer on the tail was always shorter than the top one on each tig i’ve had.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A short video, he’s eating well now so just got to get him eating different foods :D
It looks lively and healthy but it is thin. Keep feeding it well.

View attachment 1334246 View attachment 1334247 He was over 30” when he died ... nearly gave up fish keeping for good. Honestly I was so upset. When I got him the only thing he would eat was Cardinal tetras which I had to feed live on tongs ( at $2.50 each and he would eat 10 a day) then he got onto the live black worms etc. Eventually I moved the other gigs along as he was easily the nicest and because he was hand fed he became more then a fish. I have a Arowana that has become similar. I kept him alone in a 570g tank...I went a bit nuts. His lower streamer was smaller then his top one but I had ones with varying sized streamers.
These were from 2011 when he was about 22” ....he was 32” when he passed and thick like a TSN. Just a lovely lovely fish ...
That's a wow fish. You went to ridiculous lengths to feed it / keep it happy, almost no one ever does this with such a dedication. How long has it lived? Give us the growth info with sizes through the years, please, if you will.

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
I think it was about 2004 when I got him so I had the privilege of caring for him for about 13 years in total. I don’t know his age when imported but he was tiny no bigger then my finger. I got him with 3 others and 4 jurenses. I split them up into their own tanks and hand fed them all. I lost a lovely jurenses about 12 months into it and gradually so off the others to people I trusted to look after them correctly keeping the best Tig and Jurenses for myself. The big Juri died in 2014 but he wasn’t hand fed or as tame. I did go overboard keeping the Tig like that but I actually go so attached for some reason. Loved that fish

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
He gets a full belly every day but they he seems to be getting longer instead of thicker... I keep trying different foods and he takes most stuff now, might get him some words later see if that helps

Reactions: taksan and Matteus

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
That’s ok then, I’ve had to treat the peacock bass for internal worms anyway and they’re all in the same tank so should be ok on that and he’s getting offered food until he refuses it every day so he should be ok :) the new problem is the giraff cat is being boisterous with him! Not sure if I should see how it plays out or find the giraff a new home

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store