My Tigrinus thread

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Sorry I haven’t updated in a while I’ve been working loads and keep forgetting!

Anyways the tig is still doing great in the most part, we had a drama last month as he somehow broke his top streamer and it was hanging off so I had to cut it, luckily I managed to sneak up on him with some scissors and trim it without stressing him to much and luckily it’s grown back nicely.

ATM I’m trying to pellet train him but he is so stubborn! His has mouthed them a few times but just spits it out. It’s been almost 2 weeks now and he’s starting to lose weight, I know they can go quite a while without food but I’m starting to get worried, should I go back to stuffing frozen/thawed fish with pellets again or should I persevere?

Reactions: Fishman Dave

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I generally go for a month then give in if they're 6"+ no matter the species. By that size they're pretty stable and can handle it.

Reactions: monsterkeeper87

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I suppose you might be seeing what's not there, a psychological effect. I mean the weight loss.

I'd be comfortable with a 1-2 month fast, if you too are stubborn and it is important to you.

Reactions: moe214

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I suppose you might be seeing what's not there, a psychological effect. I mean the weight loss.

I'd be comfortable with a 1-2 month fast, if you too are stubborn and it is important to you.
Maybe lol I’m still really worried about loosing him. I’ll stick to it for a while and keep you all updated

Reactions: moe214

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I think I would be worried about getting him into pellets if the whole tank or pond was only fed pellets. So in my humble opinion, I would feed him what he eats well and sorry more about supplementing that if you felt it was necessary. Mine, bought back in October took nothing but shrimp or mussel for the first month, wouldn't even touch bloodworm. Interestingly I gave him some competition in the form of a small sperata aor and a group of 10 3" koi in a 6 ft tank and now he eats thawed colley fish , mussel meat, prawns but still ignored the flake and sinking sturgeon protein pellets meant for the koi. oh and he eats tails if I miss a meal and he gets hungry. The koi will be moving on soon as they are just over wintering (last year's babies that I wanted to keep) and they have grown well in a tank with so much flow and filtration.
I find my tig (7") wants to sit in an oxygenated flow from the powerhead but prefers to do that under a rock rather than how I expected, like a vulture cat on top of something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store