My trip to Kiev's Nature Museum: Lots of Stuffed fish and Steller's Sea Cow

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Here are some pictures from my trip from Kiev Museum of Nature. Some these stuffed fish and animals are pretty old. I guessing, at least 60-70 years old. I had lots of fun. It was cool to see some of the fish that I personally had in my aquarium. But I guess back than they were considered truly exotic.

Preserved Silver Arowana or Osteoglossum bicirrhosum

Stuffed Mola mola. It's really huge in person. But they did really poor job in preserving its eyes.

Stuffed Bichirs (polypterus) and Pickled Ropefish

Stuffed Shark and Sawfish

Regular Skates and an Electric Ray

Sturgeon Species

Scorpionfish Species

Founders and Puffers

Crazy looking stuffed batfish

All sorts of boxfish, triggers, and puffers

Weather Loaches: Misgurnus fossilis, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, Cobitis taenia. This one is kind cool because you can seen the difference between M. fossilis and M. anguillicaudatus.

Crustaceans

Some Stuffed Parrots: I am sure bird lovers won't like it)))

Real life Steller's sea cow (Hydrodamalis gigas) Skeleton. Real deal, man))). If you don't know what Steller's sea cow is, It is a giant manatee the size of a whale. It grew to be 9 meters long and weigh as much as 10 tons. It live on Commander Islands and was discovered in 1741 by Georg Wilhelm Steller. Unfortunately, it was hunted to extinction within 27 years of it's discovery. Poor sea cows.

A pretty cool mammoth skeleton

This is the plaster replica of the baby mammoth found frozen in Siberia (poor little guy)

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good job, Vitaly!

I didn't know about the giga sea cows.

What's the admission price?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
You've been sharing lots of really cool pics in the photo lounge. Very inspiring.Thank you!

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
You've been sharing lots of really cool pics in the photo lounge. Very inspiring.Thank you!
thanks. i quite my job, so i have lots time for this))) i just need to set up my tanks again. i have been without an aquarium since march and it's killing me

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Hope you find a new job quickly, to pay for our addiction to the hobby. :)

Reactions: vitaly

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
it's only a few bucks, ukrainian money is pretty worthless right now.

Believe me I'm just as disappointed when I visit The National Aquarium in Baltimore. Short a few sharks and a dolphin. My house is a better exhibit..

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store