My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Pretty cool indeed, thanks for the update:)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice to see the update. Thanks!

If your water checks out and he has places to rest, the lighting is dim, the oxygen is plentiful, it could simply be its nature. Mine two strongly prefer pellets too but if I starve them 4-7 days they usually take fish.

Also, consider whether or not you are trying to overfeed your wels. They grow rather slowly and do not move around that much except maybe by night, so their metabolism is correspondingly slow. Perhaps your wels simply takes what it needs at his pace.

Jeez the government ruins all my dreams,whatever happened to the pursuit of happiness!?
In a nut shell, too many citizen are pretty keen on human rights, not enough care for human responsibilities... whilst these are two sides of the same coin. Without one of these there is simply no coin, that is no life. And having forgotten and abolished responsibilities, that's where we are all headed, towards no life. First figuratively. Next literally.

I do realize rights are fun, responsibilities are work. But we as a humankind are drifting away farther and farther from the common sense that to have fun, one needs to work.

IMHO, this is what lies at the very heart of all our problems without exception, from social and individual unhappiness, injustice, and wars to wrecking local ecosystems by irresponsible pet releases.

Last edited:

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
So wednesday13 wednesday13 @WailuaBoy thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter so basically I can never sell of trade my wels or move to another state with him? If that is the case im fuc**d because I plan to get out of California in several years.
I procrastinated again and didn't pull the trigger! I'll be around if and when you need to part with him.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I procrastinated again and didn't pull the trigger! I'll be around if and when you need to part with him.

You don't know how close I came to just saying I will get one next year....the timimg was weird ...I just spent all my "extra" money from my check on dog accessories and fish food....I returned all the dog accessories and decided I may not have a chance again and turns out it was the right decision. If I would have just waited I would have been SOL sometimes just trust your gut

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Wels catfish Update

(2/8/17)February 8th 2017

UPDATE: The wels has put on substantial size since moving him to the 110 Long. He eats sinking Cichlid bio gold he has also eaten tilapia (which he refused in the past) and cichlid bio gold plus ...he has become restless these past couple weeks ramming the side of the tank so I have decided to skip the 240 and go straight to my 340. I am planning to move him to my 340 this friday....although I am going to visit a few local tractor supply CO to see if I can get a Rubbermaid stock tank in a pinch....would be easier on me than having to move around my stock in my current 340....either way he WILL be moved this coming friday no matter what way I decide to go...my tax return will be used to seriously fund his semi-permanent 16x8x4 I'm going to make based off a design I saw on the site. I will stack 2x4s as a frame and line the inside with plywood then fiberglass,resin and pond armor... gonna be a fun ride....I would say I have another 6-12 months before I will need the 16ft pond at the rate he is growing....he is eye balled at 17 inches possibly 18...he kind of touches front to back on the 110 gallon 18 inch wide. I swear this past couple weeks he has had a crazy growth spurt...

20170208_073837.jpg 20170205_193603.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
In European wels catfish farms with sufficient food and 80 degree tempatures weld can grow to about 3 feet in a few months,under optimal conditions weld can grow 10 pounds each year

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You sound like a European wels catfish farmer :) I'd like to read more of where this info came from. Sounds like I'd learn a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store