Need Help ASAP.?.?.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I would say the male con is killing the oscars at night when the lights are out. The convict cihlid in the presence of young are insane. I had a 4 inch male that was breding kill an 8 inch jaguar cichlid in a 125 one time.
The last O died during the AM while I was awake, weak, settling to bottom of tank, minimal twitching. Unless the Con beat on him all night long as well as two other Os

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've seen the electric blue acaras beat on fish as well. I've also seen what a tank full of oscars will do to each other.

You have many possible sources of aggression.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I've seen the electric blue acaras beat on fish as well. I've also seen what a tank full of oscars will do to each other.

You have many possible sources of aggression.
I was hoping for some other answer but it seems to be the general consensus so far... Smdh, I'll keep a look out and see if I can find a culprit

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I was hoping for some other answer but it seems to be the general consensus so far... Smdh, I'll keep a look out and see if I can find a culprit
No Losses this AM... That's a Plus... no Signs of Illness on the fish in the tank either, as well no indication of a Bully yet...

Justin David

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Syosset
Behaviors change drmatically. My dominant OB peacock (6") is dominated by my kenyii (3") at night. In the morning when the lights come on its a different story. I have observed that my fish show most behavior at night

Reactions: Mavrick813

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I would say the male con is killing the oscars at night when the lights are out. The convict cihlid in the presence of young are insane. I had a 4 inch male that was breding kill an 8 inch jaguar cichlid in a 125 one time.
I agree with this 100% I had Oscars killed by Convicts, and Blue Acaras and I also had Convicts kill Jack Dempseys. Oscars are sissy-fish and generally don't do well in aggressive community tanks....the Oscar always needs to be the BOSS in most instances.

Convicts are nasty, but breeding convicts are completely psychotic and relentless. I'm willing to bet $$$ that the Convicts are the cause of it.

You also must consider Cichlids are very intelligent and they will not do ccertain things when you are watching....they will literally wait until the coast is clear to start wreaking havoc. All of a sudden, you wake up nd check on your fish and there is nothing but a trail of corpses left in the tank and a pair of Convicts giving you puppydog-eyes like "It wasn't me, dude....they were like that when we got here"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store