Need help with Colombian tetra fry care

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
I recently came back from a long vacation of a month and a half. I immediately did a 90% water change on my planted 20 long. There are 2 Colombian tetras, 1 panda Cory (other 5 died while I was away, I’m assuming nitrate poisoning due to lack of water changes), and 3 nerite snails in the tank. I’m bummed about losing the cories. Anyway, as I was doing pruning and maintenance to the plants, I spotted a couple Colombian tetra fry. I have no idea how to take care of fry and need advice/tips. I have a spare 1 gallon which is cycled but has nothing in it that I am going to use to house them. So far I have caught one and moved it over. They are about 3 mm long and I think there’s only a handful left. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
How do I ensure that the fry get the food? Does it take long for the fry to grow?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How do I ensure that the fry get the food? Does it take long for the fry to grow?

If you have separated the fry from the main aquarium they should get food. Crush it up fine but don't over feed. Also would get a sponge filter started in the main aquarium for the future. If you have time to culture live food such as baby brine shrimp, micro worms that would make feeding the fry easier.

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
I don’t quite know how to culture them. Are they available at most lfs? Why do you suggest adding a sponge filter? Also, my heater malfunctioned and the fry tank overheated to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The fry was fine (luckily) and I removed the heater. My room is hotter than the rest of the house and it’s summer right now so room temperature will probably be 75-76.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I don’t quite know how to culture them. Are they available at most lfs? Why do you suggest adding a sponge filter? Also, my heater malfunctioned and the fry tank overheated to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The fry was fine (luckily) and I removed the heater. My room is hotter than the rest of the house and it’s summer right now so room temperature will probably be 75-76.
The sponge filter will do 3 things.
1. Provide Mechanical and Biological filtration
2. Provide tiny microorganisms the tiny fry will feed off of the sponge.

Your lfs may not sell newly hatched brine shrimp or microworm not difficult to culture YouTube both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store