Need some help with noise reduction options

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I dont know why one pump is louder than the other
one.
Maybe switch the louder pump with another pump.
You will definetly get a noise reduction with a silicone hose.
The Sponge is just a part of my sump.

IMG_2202.JPG

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I switched the pumps and at first the new one sounded the same but after I moved it around a bit I found a spot that it sits nicely and is quiet.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
So the pump was defective ?
I don't think it was defective, I just think it's not as quiet as my wife wants it to be. I am actually ok with it and don't find it to be bad at all, but since she didn't even want this tank in the first place, I pretty much have to make it as quiet as she wants. I already have the overflow part of it silent, and I have made the baffles that overflow into the pump chamber silent as well. The only source of noise is the pumps. I am going to give it a week or so to see if it will quiet down after it's had a chance to run, and if not, then I will probably have to look into a few new pumps.

What are all of your opinions on silent pumps that will pretty closely match my current Rio 20HF's? Also, if they can be energy efficient, that is a big plus (these Rio's are only 60W each for a 1290gph pump).

Thanks

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I have a jabeo dct 8000
I really like the controler with the feeding Modus.
My sump is in my living room and the Sound is ok.
At first i had it plumbed like you and it was to loud.
Now its fine.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
OP, in my experience, i dont think there's a break in period - at least not one where the pump is quieter.

One thing that i liked about DC pumps is for being relatively quiet. I run one in sump that's rated 2800gph w/0 head, another inline closed loop 3100 w/0 head (currently dead, but separate story there).

All plumbed with PVC, and it's quiet sitting in the living room I think.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Ahhh now we come to the crux of the matter....she didn't want the tank in the first place!
Gut instinct tells me once the pump reaches 0.00 decibels, it will start to smell...or the electric bill will be too high.... or the humidity is making the roof bow.....
Just saying.
Lol, we'll see how that stuff goes but I'm hoping that by keeping it well maintained it won't smell.

I will admit that the pump does have a decent buzz to it. You can hear it from other rooms in the house and it wasn't like that when I first set it up.

Now, in researching new pumps, I have come across the DCT, DCS and DCP series Jebao pumps. It seems they have put out a new model for nearly four years in a row, with DCP being the newest. Everything I find on the DCP pump says it's quieter than the DCT pumps so I'm thinking of giving it a try.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Don't know about the DCP, but my DCT is extremely quiet. Have had it for a year now. Have been very happy with it so far. Especially for the price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store